• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Florida Roaches

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Hey Germ, thanks a lot. I think I'll give them a call in the morning.

Of course, as dumb as I am, they're going to have to give me a crash course on the breeding and keeping. I'm also hoping they are within reasonable driving distance.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If my memory serves me right, I think they offer free shipping for the price, which is considerably less than what most charge. Good Luck. I have been keeping Discoids for years, if you need help just ask or PM me. If you click below, there a number of vids of some of mine, both of them eating & being ate ;).

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Really entertaining videos, especially the fun ones! I like the 'Head Bop' :) Nice music too.
But they are all nice to see. I'll watch them again with my grandson this afternoon.

Yes, I saw the roaches. They seem like the way to go. From the video, they don't seem that hard to keep.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The only problem with these roaches (Dubia also) is if you happen to plan on using a sand substrate in the future, then you can not feed in the enclosure. Being nocturnal, they will almost immediately burrow into the sand to get out of the light. When using Sand, I always either hand fed or in a separate empty enclosure as shown in the vids. Glad you liked them.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
I don't think I'll be using sand. I really haven't decided about substrate yet, still using newspaper. The newspaper I just pick out and replace every few days. The problem is having to move all the furnishing to replace the paper.

Any suggestions?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use Textured, Padded, Vinyl Deck flooring, permanently contact cemented to the enclosure floors with all edges silicone sealed. When I go to sand, it just goes over top. There are many non-particle substrates that can be used, most permanent, e.g. textured ceramic, slate, textured lino, etc. Removable, such as repticarpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, butchers paper, paper towel, etc. All personal preference.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A couple of freshly molted new adult Discoids - The one on the right is starting to take on some color. When they first Molt\shed they are completely white except for 2 black bars in head area. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get their regular color. Looks to be a male on the right & a female on the left (By Wing length).

Molted Roaches 007 (1024 x 768).jpg

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
hey germ does the discoids breed faster than the dubias.... cause uhmmm it took me a long time to have a colony

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't really answer that with any certainty, because I have never had Dubia. I know their care & characteristics are basically the same, but have been told that dubia move a little slower than Discoids & by some, that Dubia may be a little faster breeder, generally by people that have never had Discoids, soooo ....

It does take a really long time to get a colony established, depending on how many adults you start out with, they grow slowly, take 3-4+ months alone, just to become adults.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My colony gets Purina Beneful Dog food which has mostly softer chunks that they seem to like, every week or 2, I will put the dog food in a bowl & wet it until they all swell, drain off any excess water & feed it that way, along with table scrap veggies, cores, stalks from greens & such. When there isn't enough of those I toss in a few carrots or halved potatoes for moisture. My feeders I keep in separate smaller container & gutload them properly prior to feeding.