• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Floki the brat - Aggressive male juvie

Dana1970

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,
My boy Floki is about 1.5 y/o, has a 2x2x4 habitat with 100-watt basking and 10.0 desert reptile 17" UVB, a couple hides/climbing, etc. (98-100 degrees on warm/light side about 6" under basking). I've been told my husbandry is great (by their vet and on this site), so hopefully we can try to get past that to what I know our issue is:
Floki's "house" is on one side of large family room and Mango (my 2 y/o beauty - female) is on the other side and while they're in habitats cannot see each other. Mostly, one has been covered while the other is out. But, they have discovered each other. Now, when Floki comes out, he does his young male beardie thing: bobbing, black-bearding, showing off, and usually hangs around/under her habitat. He tends to calm down when I put him on my heating pad in the sun (it's on super low, don't worry). Anyhoo, he has recently become more frustrated in "not getting the girl" and will sometimes run at me to bonk or try to bite.
I feel bad because he loves to be out and roam around when we're home. I just hate to see him so full of teen angst. Mango IS a dream boat - she is very gentle, eats veggies from hand and doesn't mind being held - she is a raving beauty with a striking orange beard... who wouldn't want her? :D
I've considered putting him up for adoption or seeing if a local breeder wants a feisty young, good-looking, healthy male. But, we'd hate to give him away.
Question: Should I move Floki to a quieter room, no where near Mango?
My babies have the life. They are pretty spoiled, eat well, have awesome habitats and I've had Mango to vet twice and they said she is VERY healthy. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
THANKS SO MUCH! - Dana

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,
My boy Floki is about 1.5 y/o, has a 2x2x4 habitat with 100-watt basking and 10.0 desert reptile 17" UVB, a couple hides/climbing, etc. (98-100 degrees on warm/light side about 6" under basking). I've been told my husbandry is great (by their vet and on this site), so hopefully we can try to get past that to what I know our issue is:
Floki's "house" is on one side of large family room and Mango (my 2 y/o beauty - female) is on the other side and while they're in habitats cannot see each other. Mostly, one has been covered while the other is out. But, they have discovered each other. Now, when Floki comes out, he does his young male beardie thing: bobbing, black-bearding, showing off, and usually hangs around/under her habitat. He tends to calm down when I put him on my heating pad in the sun (it's on super low, don't worry). Anyhoo, he has recently become more frustrated in "not getting the girl" and will sometimes run at me to bonk or try to bite.
I feel bad because he loves to be out and roam around when we're home. I just hate to see him so full of teen angst. Mango IS a dream boat - she is very gentle, eats veggies from hand and doesn't mind being held - she is a raving beauty with a striking orange beard... who wouldn't want her? :D
I've considered putting him up for adoption or seeing if a local breeder wants a feisty young, good-looking, healthy male. But, we'd hate to give him away.
Question: Should I move Floki to a quieter room, no where near Mango?
My babies have the life. They are pretty spoiled, eat well, have awesome habitats and I've had Mango to vet twice and they said she is VERY healthy. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
THANKS SO MUCH! - Dana
yes I would move him to another room and keep him out of her room-- the UVB is less than 6 months old and inside the tank?? Also I would upgrade the UVB T 8's are more for smaller tanks like under 40 gallon -- depending on the screen will determine where a T 5 will go

Dana1970

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes I would move him to another room and keep him out of her room-- the UVB is less than 6 months old and inside the tank?? Also I would upgrade the UVB T 8's are more for smaller tanks like under 40 gallon -- depending on the screen will determine where a T 5 will go
Good morning Sadie. Yes, I have it on my calendar to change their UVB's every 5-6 months and these are only about 1 month old. His (and Mango's) colors are vibrant and they are healthy, but I think I'll take Floki to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a sperm plug or anything else bothering him (besides Mango's presence). We are afraid to put him in another room because we wouldn't see him as much and he does like to be out and run around or even sit in the sun in the living room. It's a tough decision. I have a friend who treats her dragons well and breeds so I might see if she wants to take him on. Again, tough decisions. Thanks for replying.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good morning Sadie. Yes, I have it on my calendar to change their UVB's every 5-6 months and these are only about 1 month old. His (and Mango's) colors are vibrant and they are healthy, but I think I'll take Floki to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a sperm plug or anything else bothering him (besides Mango's presence). We are afraid to put him in another room because we wouldn't see him as much and he does like to be out and run around or even sit in the sun in the living room. It's a tough decision. I have a friend who treats her dragons well and breeds so I might see if she wants to take him on. Again, tough decisions. Thanks for replying.
Can you post a pic of his vent? It's going to be protruding if there is a sperm plug- you can still get him out I would take him to another room- and place the tanks side by side- with some sort of covering on the side- I have 2 males in the same room their thanks face toward me and side by side- I have zen tanks so the sides are bamboo along w/the the back but it's up to you

Dana1970

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you post a pic of his vent? It's going to be protruding if there is a sperm plug- you can still get him out I would take him to another room- and place the tanks side by side- with some sort of covering on the side- I have 2 males in the same room their thanks face toward me and side by side- I have zen tanks so the sides are bamboo along w/the the back but it's up to you
Yes, I have the Zen 4 x 2 x 2 as well. Awesome habitats. So I can put them side by side, but like I said, when they're in their little homes, they can't see each other. He glass surfs to come out.... a little spoiled. Sometimes we let him surf and he'll relax. I have found a couple things that calm him, like the heating pad and sun. And sometimes he'll chill if he just sits under her habitat. I guess this is all pretty natural, seeing that he is probably a bit randy at his age.
I saw some vids on YouTube re: the sperm plug (will get a pic if I can - he's resting right now)... and some people remove it themselves. Do you suggest that or should I have vet do it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I have the Zen 4 x 2 x 2 as well. Awesome habitats. So I can put them side by side, but like I said, when they're in their little homes, they can't see each other. He glass surfs to come out.... a little spoiled. Sometimes we let him surf and he'll relax. I have found a couple things that calm him, like the heating pad and sun. And sometimes he'll chill if he just sits under her habitat. I guess this is all pretty natural, seeing that he is probably a bit randy at his age.
I saw some vids on YouTube re: the sperm plug (will get a pic if I can - he's resting right now)... and some people remove it themselves. Do you suggest that or should I have vet do it?
Depends on how bad- most people do it - if it's really protruding and you can get some tweezers and get it out then you can do it- post a pic first to make sure it's a plug and not his henipenis