• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

first timer hibernating

freaking.prince

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there

So this morning wife texted me and said she found him hiding in the cave

Is this a sign of hibernating? What can I do to ensure he is OK and any tips on making sure he gets what he needs

Greatly appreciate it

You can see from the pic he dug out and made himself comfortable

Again any tips as this my first time dealing with this

Attachments

• 1410308977428.jpg
    1410308977428.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Well im good at this question! My guy slept for 4 months! I would still get him out and give him warm soak every 8-10 days to keep him hydrated,offer salad every day,if he is going into brumation he probably wont eat it,but I always offered it just in case,he could brumate for 2 weeks to 3-4 months..i would touch his foot occasionally and he would jerk it back..lol at least I knew he was ok..mine is doing it again now,and he just woke up in April!! Hopefully its a short mid-summer sleep!

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Well im good at this question! My guy slept for 4 months! I would still get him out and give him warm soak every 8-10 days to keep him hydrated,offer salad every day,if he is going into brumation he probably wont eat it,but I always offered it just in case,he could brumate for 2 weeks to 3-4 months..i would touch his foot occasionally and he would jerk it back..lol at least I knew he was ok..mine is doing it again now,and he just woke up in April!! Hopefully its a short mid-summer sleep!
It sounds like you have a typical teenager

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I was that teenager that never slept because I worked right after school haha. But it's made me absolutely love to sleep now even though I don't take naps unless I'm hungover

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Just went and took this,sorry bout the glare,but had to use flash,this is where he sleeps,with his nose in the corner lol

Attachments

• WP_20140909_003.jpg
    WP_20140909_003.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 31

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
His heating pad that I had to bling out with neon lights:) his heating pad is off,its not cool enough to turn it on,but for some reason he likes it under there,above him is his basking platform.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
They all have there spot. Phoenix only seems to sleep in his hammock so what I did was cut a triangle out of a shirt I wore when I got him and I have it wrapped around the green hammock so it's softer and has my scent, that way he remembers me haha

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I don't know anything about brumation besides the fact they sleep a lot haha. Granted I've only had Phoenix for Almost a week he's been fairly active.

I have 2 small glass bowls in there one for worms and one for salad. I felt the stink eye this morning when he realized there were no worms

I want him to be excited when I get home from work and want out of his cage. The last 2 days he was just laying there relaxing. Once I took him out he was all about roaming the room though haha.

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Si is same way,when I get him out he's wide open,running around,but when I put him back,he crawls right back to sleep,so strange! I think he just likes stressing me out! When he's awake he's a nut,running everywhere,he crawls all over my English bulldog and she could care less,it's pretty funny to watch them..but last week or so he just wants to sleep:( time to wake up crazy boy

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I love naps! Guess that's what happens when you hit 40 LOL! Luckily Dexter loves naps too and on weekends I will lay on the couch with her on my chest and cover up with a blanket and she will take a nap with me.

Sorry @freaking.prince I don't have any experience with brummation yet. I hope I never do because I would miss my little buddies. Everything I've read is what Jules has said. One other thing to add is if it's truely brummation you can turn the lights off and just let him sleep. One time I thought Dexter was going into brummation but I turned all her lights off and she looked at me like "WTH!"

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Lol,yea forgot to mention the lights,there body,metabolism slows to nothing,that's why most don't even lose weight..just keep him hydrated and let him do his thing!

Latest posts