• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Time Owner **LENGTHY POST!!**8

ThaiTeaBandit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there!
My name is Alexa and I'm a proud owner of an 8 year old German Giant. I've had him since late October to early November. A friend gave him too me and said he was a breeding dragon. I had never owned a bearded dragon before him nor any lizard, but I've always had a deep love and fascination with these scaly beauties. Well, needless to say, she gave him to me for keeps and said he was "special needs and if he dies in my care she will be beyond angry at me." She said he had bad vision and when he ate, he couldn't see and was "trained" to eat from chopsticks, tweezers, and hands. She said he had MBD, a couple of missing toes, curvatures in his feet, and odd curves in his tail. She says his previous owner, 10 years ago, had abused him and left him in a shoe box. I've done my best as a first time owner to take care of him. I've recently gotten a job when my previous job fell through and I had no choice but to feed him what I thought would give him the most benefit during my struggle period which I saw from research was kale and blackberries.. But recently, I've gotten extremely worried about him. I was told at Pet Smart not to feed him meal worms because they were treats and said that since I fed him kale and blackberries I was doing a good job. I dust his food every so often, as his former owner said that's what she does for him. His previous owner said to also sprinkle calcium in his water too, so that's what I did. They said that crickets, pinkies, and eggs would be a good source of protein he needed to pack on some of the healthier fats he needs. Well recently, as I've stated he refuses to drink his water. He will run up and down the sides of his tank because like I said, he seems extremely unhappy inside of it and he seems to want to run out. His owner told me she helps peel his shed and he can't shed himself. But he is social for the most part. But he sleeps a lot. And he opens his mouth juuuust a little bit while sunning himself under his bulb. He tends to also close one eye and keep one open from time to time. Also, he will run over to inspect sudden movement because his tank is at the end of my bed on a coffee table in my room and he seems really curious as to who and why something is moving. His previous owner tells me he's just a sleepy guy that loves mating and he rarely eats or drinks but maybe twice a week and just to leave food and drink in his cage when he wants to grab some sustenance. What should I do? I'm scared, I don't wanna hurt him or be a bad owner... He's my first scaly critter, I don't want to let his previous owner or him down.

Thank you so much for tuning in and answering any questions I have!

P.S- This is my first bearded baby. Please be kind and offer constructive criticism and correct my ignorance. I'm trying my hardest and I'm only doing what I could with what I had and what I was told to do by his owner and the pet store. I am now on a mission to buy him a new tank to replace his old one, buy him some fun feeding and basking accessories, and make his little lizard life as luxurious as possible as I recently picked up a new job and want to spoil my little bearded baby.

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
I’m a new owner as well. I got my beardie 2 days ago. I’m by no means an expert but I read a lot and watched many videos. From what I’ve seen the open mouth while basking is normal because that’s how they regulate their body temperature. They get their hydration from their food and they don’t “drink” water like a dog will lap up water. Although I have read some will but it’s not the norm. Fresh fruit and veggies will give it the water it needs. Adults eat mainly fruits and vegetables and don’t need so many insects. That’s all I feel comfortable commenting on given my knowledge level. But please face check what I’ve said and defer to the more experienced owners on this site.

ThaiTeaBandit

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m a new owner as well. I got my beardie 2 days ago. I’m by no means an expert but I read a lot and watched many videos. From what I’ve seen the open mouth while basking is normal because that’s how they regulate their body temperature. They get their hydration from their food and they don’t “drink” water like a dog will lap up water. Although I have read some will but it’s not the norm. Fresh fruit and veggies will give it the water it needs. Adults eat mainly fruits and vegetables and don’t need so many insects. That’s all I feel comfortable commenting on given my knowledge level. But please face check what I’ve said and defer to the more experienced owners on this site.
Thank you so much for the advice and your stance on the subject. I also respect how honest you are about knowing as much as I know, if not a bit more. Most people would have played it off like they know everything! I will take your commentary into suggestion! Thank you again!!

***SIDE NOTE FOR EVERYONE-- FEEL FREE TO ADD ME OR PM ME AT ANY TIME! I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW FRIENDS OR REPTILIAN MENTORS!!*****

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
You’re very welcome! I’m very eager to learn as much as I can so I can take care of it and have a little friend for as long as possible. I don’t find it useful to pretend to know everything and enjoy be “corrected” so I can be more confident in my knowledge. I also like sharing what a know. Because people seeking advice and knowledge are the best people for the fact they want to improve themselves and the world and not be comfortable in their ignorance. Ok I don’t know why I went so philosophical but anyway good luck to you!

ThaiTeaBandit

Bearded Dragon Egg
You’re very welcome! I’m very eager to learn as much as I can so I can take care of it and have a little friend for as long as possible. I don’t find it useful to pretend to know everything and enjoy be “corrected” so I can be more confident in my knowledge. I also like sharing what a know. Because people seeking advice and knowledge are the best people for the fact they want to improve themselves and the world and not be comfortable in their ignorance. Ok I don’t know why I went so philosophical but anyway good luck to you!
Haha, it's quite okay! I'm the same exact way. And thank you very much, that's very sweet!!!

Shakespeare’sMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
1D6FB7D7-1D61-4436-8942-1770520F7484.jpeg
I’m also a new owner I’ve read that kale is not a great choice because it blocks calcium from being absorbed and can cause MBD. Same problem with spinach. Shakespeare loves dandelion greens and herbs!

Latest posts