• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Time Beardie Owner

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So sad. I wish I could put my girls in there with styrofoam. They would tear it up. Does covering it with grout harden it??? I would watch those fake plants, I'd be nervous about them. I agree on the lamps! My favorite tank is one that slides open in front, the only reason I need to go in through the top on that one is to move the big things out to clean it.

sonja

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah the grout turns it almost as hard as concrete. I don't think even a full grown beardie could tear it apart. I'm keeping a close eye on the plants. Most posts I've readabout them say that if they are introduced to them early then they wont try to eat them as adults...it's just another fixture in their cage. Of course as soon as I see him messing with them they'll dissappear. :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah the grout turns it almost as hard as concrete. I don't think even a full grown beardie could tear it apart. I'm keeping a close eye on the plants. Most posts I've readabout them say that if they are introduced to them early then they wont try to eat them as adults...it's just another fixture in their cage. Of course as soon as I see him messing with them they'll dissappear. :)
I still see my girls tryin to nip at green spots on newspaper...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very nice enclosure
icon_thumright-1.gif
. Really like it's simplicity. So nice to see someone that has done their homework.

122F seems a little hot, though, might want to raise the light a bit.

sonja

Hatchling Dragon
Well I have a question about the temp. I live in northern NH and the average temp outside is 40-45. This week, however, it's been in the 70's! So my problem is that when its cool outside, the temp of the cage is 100-108. When its warm out the basking spot gets hot! (123 is the hottest I've seen it.) how do I regulate the temp in the warmer months so that hes not burning up and the room hes in isnt hot as well?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Well I have a question about the temp. I live in northern NH and the average temp outside is 40-45. This week, however, it's been in the 70's! So my problem is that when its cool outside, the temp of the cage is 100-108. When its warm out the basking spot gets hot! (123 is the hottest I've seen it.) how do I regulate the temp in the warmer months so that hes not burning up and the room hes in isnt hot as well?
a/c? I'm having the same issue as it's warming up in my room... try a lower wattage basking bulb, have one for warm weather and one for cool weather? We're about to reduce wattage on all our bulbs.

sonja

Hatchling Dragon
a/c? I'm having the same issue as it's warming up in my room... try a lower wattage basking bulb, have one for warm weather and one for cool weather? We're about to reduce wattage on all our bulbs.

Oh good idea with reducing wattages. A/c wouldn't make sense as we don't have very many hot days in the summer. As it is, because of the basking bulb and the uvb bulb,my husbands gonna flip when the electric bill comes next month. ;)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Or raise the bulb on the hot days ... By the way the cool side temp should be taken opposite the basking bulb near the floor.

sonja

Hatchling Dragon
That would work too, except it only makes the room that much hotter. I have a 100 watt bulb right now but might try a 75 watt. Is that the next wattage down from 100? Or is there an 80 or 90?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Possibly use a lower wattage 'Spot' type bulb so the heat/light is radiated more directional.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, I never buy my basking bulbs from the Pet Stores. The equivalent can be found at most larger Hardware stores, generally for less than half the price. Any white or clear bulb will work very well. We all usually have to play with different types & wattages, until we find what works for our ambient room temps, distances & setups. Personally I use Philips Halogen Flood bulbs in all my enclosures, 75W in the summer, 50W in the summer, Brighter/whiter light, more heat per watt, less power consumption, really good heat penetration & this works very well for all my enclosures. Rated for 3000 hrs and if not banged around, I usually get much longer than that, the odd time a little less. Any heat bulb is going to affect the ambient room temps to some degree. Wiring in a dimmer may be an idea & help control your heat also, but will generally shorten bulb life.

sonja

Hatchling Dragon
Personally, I never buy my basking bulbs from the Pet Stores. The equivalent can be found at most larger Hardware stores, generally for less than half the price. Any white or clear bulb will work very well. We all usually have to play with different types & wattages, until we find what works for our ambient room temps, distances & setups. Personally I use Philips Halogen Flood bulbs in all my enclosures, 75W in the winter, 50W in the summer, Brighter/whiter light, more heat per watt, less power consumption, really good heat penetration & this works very well for all my enclosures. Rated for 3000 hrs and if not banged around, I usually get much longer than that, the odd time a little less. Any heat bulb is going to affect the ambient room temps to some degree. Wiring in a dimmer may be an idea & help control your heat also, but will generally shorten bulb life.

Thank you!! Very helpful! :)

Latest posts