• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female or male beardie?

Is a male or female better for a new keeper?

• Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Male

• No difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
Is a male or female bearded dragon better for someone that hasn’t kept beardies before? Or is there no difference?

Thanks! Lukas.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is a male or female bearded dragon better for someone that hasn’t kept beardies before? Or is there no difference?

Thanks! Lukas.
Female beardies lay eggs infertile and fertile of course if you breed her --- that would be the only difference w/ them - all dragons should NOT be kept together of course unless your breeding them - and then after the fact they need to be kept separate -- their husbandry needs to have certain lighting NO Coil UVB's -- digital probe thermometers are a MUST for accurate basking temps -- NO sand for substrate and a bright white basking bulb --NO colored bulbs NO heat mats and NO heat rocks - dragons heat from their backs not stomachs----- they must have certain temps in the tank --- research can be conflicting your better off going to good forums NOT FB groups -- people give alot of wrong information -- I can only tell you from experience what works and what does not work --- anymore questions please ask --

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
Female beardies lay eggs infertile and fertile of course if you breed her --- that would be the only difference w/ them - all dragons should NOT be kept together of course unless your breeding them - and then after the fact they need to be kept separate -- their husbandry needs to have certain lighting NO Coil UVB's -- digital probe thermometers are a MUST for accurate basking temps -- NO sand for substrate and a bright white basking bulb --NO colored bulbs NO heat mats and NO heat rocks - dragons heat from their backs not stomachs----- they must have certain temps in the tank --- research can be conflicting your better off going to good forums NOT FB groups -- people give alot of wrong information -- I can only tell you from experience what works and what does not work --- anymore questions please ask --

I’ve done several months of obsessive research, don’t worry :)

Since I want a larger lizard and don’t feel like dealing with infertile eggs, I’ll probably go with a male then.

As for substrate, I know straight sand isn’t great. Would a bioactive mix of 30% sand 70% topsoil work? I don’t want to use tile since I want him to be able to dig, reptile carpet is out of the picture. Substrate is the only thing left I’m not sure of since it’s such a controversial topic.

Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Since I want a larger lizard and don’t feel like dealing with infertile eggs, I’ll probably go with a male then.

As for substrate, I know straight sand isn’t great. Would a bioactive mix of 30% sand 70% topsoil work? I don’t want to use tile since I want him to be able to dig, reptile carpet is out of the picture. Substrate is the only thing left I’m not sure of since it’s such a controversial topic.

Thanks!
Yeah I am not familiar w/ bioactive tanks but Wickedpogona is --- have you checked out the biodudes website? Look there and if you want PM Wickedpogona

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Thanks!
Better late then never . That percentage should work everyones bio is made differently which makes them unique I use about 60-40 ratio . Sphagnum moss is one of the best additives to the soil it helps keeps it aerated and Clean up crew loves it Springtails etc plus it stays moist and holds 10x it's weight in water another good amendment is Coconut fiber which also holds multiple times it's weight in water which is good for those moist pockets in your Arid terrarium for your cuc like under rocks and stuff etc. I use lava rocks which are porus and are known as the land sponge get creative it's nature I use natural charcoal as it's used in water purification etc same as cork leaf litter etc . A bioactive is better done gradually better for you not to mess up an the dragon because it's a lot of stimulation at first with the hunts and smells I've had mine on bioactive setup since she was a few months

Latest posts