• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding.

leiane clements

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi.
I am new to hear and keeping BD and reptiles.
When do you find the best time to feed your BD is ?

Leiane and Buddy

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
General feeding/supplementation schedule:
For hatchlings and young juveniles (up to 2 months): Fresh greens/veg. 1-2 times daily - Live prey 2-3 times per day
Dusted: Five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – one day per week calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For juveniles and sub-adults (2 months to sexual maturity): Fresh greens/veg 1-2 times daily - Live prey 1-2 times per day
Dusted: Five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – One day per week with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For adults (generally 1+ year): Fresh greens/veg 1- 2 times daily - Live prey every 2-3 days.
Dusted: Live Prey dusted every other feeding with phosphorus free calcium - Twice per month with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

As there are different circumstances that may arise, this schedule is recommended only as a general guide and may be altered to accommodate individual situations. Using a tracking method of when you dust prevents unnecessary use of product and more importantly, potential harm to your dragon! With proper and effective UVB lighting, supplementation with vitamin D3 is not imperative but should be provided in small amounts. Excessive levels of oral vitamin D3 can potentially lead to the excessive absorption and utilization of calcium and/or toxicity as can the excessive use of supplements containing high levels of vitamin A. Over use of any supplement can have the potential to cause serious health problems, stick to an appropriate supplementation schedule.
Amendment to Supplementation:Here is an article providing a good explanation to give an understanding on the Calcium to Phosphorous & Fat to Protien ratio ...
The main points to look out for are the fat content and the Ca: P ratio.

Ca: P Ratio and Reptiles

Many have heard about the Ca/P ratio but not many understand what it means to your reptiles. The Ca: P ratio is simply the ratio of Calcium compared to Phosphorus and so a Ca: P ratio of 1 (one or 1:1) would mean that Calcium & Phosphorus are found in equal quantities, a Ca: P ratio of 0.5 (half or 0.5:1) means that there is half the amount of Calcium than there is Phosphorus. An ideal Ca: P ratio would be around 2 (two or 2:1) as this will allow calcium to be easily absorbed.

So why is this important? It has to do with the way Calcium is absorbed by your reptile's intestine. For any calcium to be absorbed, there needs to be at least equal quantities of Calcium and Phosphorus in their food. If the Phosphorus is much higher, then not only will it prevent calcium being absorbed, but may even leach calcium that is already present in your reptile's body. This can lead to serious problems such as MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). When Calcium and Phosphorus are dissolved in equal quantities, it forms an insoluble salt (Calcium Phosphate) which is very difficult to absorb by your reptile's intestine. If there is a large amount of phosphorus compared to the calcium, then all the calcium will be bound by the phosphorus and none will be available for your reptile. If there is a large excess of calcium, then no phosphorus can be absorbed, which is also a vital mineral but not needed in as large a quantity as calcium. Ideally the Ca/P ratio for most vertebrates is around 2 (also written as 2:1).

Fat vs Protein

Another thing to look out for is the amount of fat compared to protein. Fat contains twice as many calories as protein, but doesn't provide any of the nutritional benefits that are gained from proteins from their amino acids which are essential for the health of any living creature. The calories from fat are often called "empty calories" in dietary terminology. Most insectivorous reptiles will receive greater benefit from a high protein/low fat diet.

Generally give greens daily in the morning, top up or refresh in the afternoon if needed. Live prey every 2-3 days, to suit your schedule being sure that it is at least an hour, after lights on & before lights out.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your BD looked big in the picture I saw, pictures can be deceiving & I took for granted that it was an Adult. In another post you mentioned that it is 5 months old, so this is the suggested feeding schedule that would be more suited to that age of BD.
For juveniles and sub-adults (2 months to sexual maturity): Fresh greens/veg 1-2 times daily - Live prey 1-2 times per day
Dusted: Live Prey Five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – One day per week with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.
Are you absolutely sure of it's age?

leiane clements

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes i am sure. Ill put another picture up so you can see

Leiane and Buddy

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346099725497.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346099725497.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 34

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Doesn't look near as big as it did in the other pic, as I said Pictures can be deceiving. ;)

leiane clements

Bearded Dragon Egg
The place i got him told me to give him meal worms once a day but 4 times a week swap them for locas. Now from what i read not many people suggested feeding mealworms. Why? And what would you suggest. I am only asking all these questions as i want to make him as happy as possible x

Leiane and Buddy

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
By Locas, do you mean locusts?

There has been Myth going around about Mealworms for years, that some people choose to believe as Fact.

A thread on the subject, please note that there is not one documented reply ... I posted this on many forums over the years, with the same results.

Mealie Basher 'Challenge'

It may be a good idea to post a pic of your setup & lighting in the enclosure section to see if there is anything there that we can help you with.

leiane clements

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah i did. So you would say mealworms ok. What do you think to the feeding advice i been given with him being 5months

Leiane and Buddy

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Locusts are the much better feeder, they have a much higher calcium & protein content between the 2 & is what I would use as the staple feeder. Mealworms, like most worms, are a little fatty to be used as the main staple food.

Personally, I would feed locusts every day, as much as it will eat in 15 minutes, and every other day, a second feeding of Meal worms.

Crickets are a better option too, than meal worms.

leiane clements

Bearded Dragon Egg
Photos of set up as requested. 4ft by 2ft

Leiane and Buddy

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346140404821.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346140404821.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 38
  • uploadfromtaptalk1346140415416.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346140415416.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 38

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, I know a lot of people mention some beardies don't like their veggies when their young, but my beardie is about 3 months now and I leave a lid of assorted veggies everyday and when I get home some of them are strung all over the floor! It's almost like he plays with it instead of eats it lol! I am concerned that he won't eat any veggies....mentioned this before on this forum so sorry to be repeating myself but I thought maybe by now he would be attracted to them. Got a suggestion from another member to add a sweet fruit...tried to add a bit of strawberry but even that didn't work. I am running out of ideas! Should I just be patient and wait for him to one day hopefully eat them? I also try to hand feed him the veggies, and he doesn't eat it. I have also tried not feeding him crickets in the morning and leaving the veggies all day in his tank because he must be hungry, but he still won't touch them! What should I do, if anything?

Pat B

Super Moderator
LOL!! Been there done that!! Spike finally started eating his green, kale and green beans only, about a month ago. He was about 6 months old. Such a booger he is. I gave him greens everyday and he finally got the hint. He won't eat fruits....only kale and green beans....go figure!! :cool:

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
LOL....that is exactly what I have been trying to feed my baby! Green beans and Kale! I also occasionally try some peas and only sometimes carrots....I actually just got home a few minutes ago and the veggies were all over the floor and his food dish was across the tank! Haha, he is such a silly goober!! These stubborn beardies! ;)

Latest posts