• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding

Spike2

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a question on feeding.

My wife an I both work. I leave for work at about 6:30 am and she leaves about 7:30am.
I get home around 5-6pm and she at 7pm.
We feed Spike his veggies first thing and he doesnt eat again until I get home.
I usually feed him right away.
He then proceeds to eat around 30 crickets. He is about 3 months old.
I know he could eat more but we cant feed him more because we arnt there.
Sometime I will go home at lunch and I will feed him then but that is very seldom.

My question is, is this ok?
I dont want to be a bad Beardie parent and want the best for him.

My wife tries to feed him crickets before she leaves but she has to get our 2 boys
ready for school and herself. So she usually 9 times out of 10 runs out of time.

I dont want to feed him crickets first thing because I dont think he will eat his veggies.

What do I do?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can place worms (silk worms ) in a bowl and let that be the first protein meal of the day...
Feed as normal when you get home.

Hope this helps.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I usually leave home at varying early morning hours. 5 am at times, 6-7:30 am at others. I set my animals lighting schedule to my work schedule to make things a bit easier. I can feed at 5:30 am because my lights come on at 5 am. And then again in the evening.

Spike is only 3 months old. He should be focusing more on bugs than veggies. The veggie bowl at this age is to provide him with something to munch in between bugs, not in place of.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I can understand the hassle with that kind of scedule. I get all their food ready the night before and set it out the next morning. I feed reptiworms as a staple so I just put a bowl of reptiworms into each of their vivs along with a bowl of veggies, that way they have their food with them all day. When I get home I usually have to give more reptiworms because that is what they normally finish off before I get home. They are getting to the point where they are now starting to eat more and more of their greens.

Latest posts