• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding 'Spike'

Pat B

Super Moderator
My little beardie, Spike, is about 3 months old. How often should I be feeding him? Right now I am feeding him about 2-3 times a day just crickets and he eats them up right away. Thanks.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, you have it right on the frequency, as much as it will eat in a 10-15 minute time period for each feeding. A small amount of fresh greens should also be provided daily so when it chooses to test them out they are there.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I have a problem with supply. The nearest place is PS but they were out today so I bought a supplement. More crickets supposedly in tomorrow. Is a supplement a bad thing and should they little dragons have water in their tank all the time?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unsure what you mean by a supplement? Most BDs will not recognize standing water, the odd ones will. None of mine would/will so a water dish is not provided. If you regularly mist & soak, they are not necessary even if they would drink out of them.

Pat B

Super Moderator
the supplement that i bought are tiny little looking bead like things for baby dragons in a bottle. I put some in his tank and he ate some of them....must have been hungry. Hopefully i can get some crickets tomorrow. And how old should my beardie be before i can give up the crickets....thank you.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This stuff?
index.php

If it is, it should never be fed dry. Pellets should never be fed dry, as it takes too much moisture to digest them & can very quickly lead to dehydration, which in turn, can cause many other serious health problems. They can be moistened with water until they swell, then drain the excess water off. You will be feeding live prey for your BDs lifetime, just not as much when older. They will taper off after a 1.5-2 years but will still need them every 2-3 days.

Pat B

Super Moderator
This stuff?
index.php

If it is, it should never be fed dry. Pellets should never be fed dry, as it takes too much moisture to digest them & can very quickly lead to dehydration, which in turn, can cause many other serious health problems. They can be moistened with water until they swell, then drain the excess water off. You will be feeding live prey for your BDs lifetime, just not as much when older. They will taper off after a 1.5-2 years but will still need them every 2-3 days.
uh oh....I put some of the above in his tank a few days ago and it wasn't watered....guess I won't be doing that again!! Thank you for all the good information as I am new at this and so is 'Spike"....

Latest posts