• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding outside home...

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK.. I need some advice here. Im trying again to get Orion used to eating in a separate bin. Total fails all day today. all he does is bump into the sides and cling to it on his back feet and let the crickets run all over his head. its kinda sad actually. I talked to a guy at the pet store I got him from tonight and he said it will take some time. has anyone else had issues at the start of trying this feeding method?

He also said not to feed in the terrarium except for greens. if it wants crickets it has to go to its bin. I REALLY need this to work because the new enclosure Im building isnt designed to hold crix very well.

Im ready to just try this with a few crickets a few times a day until it eats. I wont give in and feed in his tank. Hopefully BD's are smart enough to not starve to death haha

here is a picture of what Im feeding him in. It has a sanded mod podged floor with a rock in there and papered sides so it cant see out. as Im typing this, a cricket is climbing all over Orions eyes and face while its standing in the corner. pathetic really why it wont attempt to move :(

DSC_0141.jpg

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just give it time he Will come around and start eating in there

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hope so.. day two now and I tried again. still clawing at the sides to get out. put about 6 crickets in there.

I really hope it wont starve its self to death though. how long would be a good time to leave him in there while getting used to it? ten minutes? 30? dont want to over stress him but also want to get him knowing he is safe in there

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would say leave him 10-15 min, just as you would for feeding. it will work eventually. Is he still eating the greens in his viv? If he is he will be fine as he is still eating.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya I caught him munching on some pellets and old greens this morning from the bowl. also he ate a big freeze dried cricket I didnt think he would lol..

how many times a day should I try the feeding? 3-4?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok..still seems to be eating the greens. I don't get why a box is giving Orion so much trouble?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think I had some success! :) I swear I put in 7 crickets into the bin.. i came back from downstairs and only 4 were counted. I dont think the crickets could jump over 9 inches. and these are 1/2 size crix too. and they for sure cant climb up a rubbermaid side.. so I think he got a few.. just before I took him out he was still clutched to the side looking at me. Must have took a scaredy-cat break to munch on some treats

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Once this becomes more routine 2 him you should start 2 notice a difference.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im trying to get info from people on here on how long it took them to get their dragon used to it. never really got any answers yet. 4 days? a week?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Shouldn't take long but all dragons are different. Have u changed the feeding tank at all in between feedings or lately? Is that grout in the bottom of the plastic bin?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
what do you mean by changing it between feedings? its a primer layer of this sand textured paint with one coat of flexrock sand texture paint with a thick layer of mod podge on top of it all with a sprinkle of sand in the MP. get some good traction in there minus the deep sand.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Has it stayed the same since day 1? Or, have u been changing it along the way (paper sides, stone, sand floor)?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im trying to get info from people on here on how long it took them to get their dragon used to it. never really got any answers yet. 4 days? a week?
Every Dragon is different and will take to feeding in the tank in their own time, some may only take a few days, but then some may take a few weeks. You just going to have to be patient with this one :)

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ok. No its been the same the whole time. same floor, same rock in the middle for a little ambiance lol

I added the paper after the first attempt yesterday morning when he went balastic hitting his nose on the sides. But as I mentioned a few posts back, he seemed to have eating 3 last attempt and left the last 4. I could sweat I put 7 in there. and 1/2 crix shouldnt be able to get over a 9 inch wall! (and I havent seen any walking around my living room yet either :cool:

Latest posts