• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Help!!!

avincent11

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey All,

I just got my first bearded dragon and need some help with the feeding process. He is not digging crickets. Earlier in the week I went to buy more crickets and every where in my county and surrounding counties were out, and awaiting deliveries. The tech at the store had me get small mealworms to feed him until more crickets came in. Now he is refusing to eat crickets. He’ll eat the first one I put in the cage but won’t eat any more. His abdomen is not distended and he’s pooped several times since his mealworm dinner earlier in the week. I’m not concerned about impaction, but now he’s super picky and I’m worried about getting him to eat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey All,

I just got my first bearded dragon and need some help with the feeding process. He is not digging crickets. Earlier in the week I went to buy more crickets and every where in my county and surrounding counties were out, and awaiting deliveries. The tech at the store had me get small mealworms to feed him until more crickets came in. Now he is refusing to eat crickets. He’ll eat the first one I put in the cage but won’t eat any more. His abdomen is not distended and he’s pooped several times since his mealworm dinner earlier in the week. I’m not concerned about impaction, but now he’s super picky and I’m worried about getting him to eat.
Please do not rely on the petstores for insects we had sooooooooo many people last winter w/ this issue --- please go here and get him switched over to dubia roaches --- I am going to post some websites for roaches ---
www.dubiaroaches.com they have really good roaches but I am not sure about the roaches they had a big sale before Xmas but go look and see if you can order - I am thinking you need smalls? they also have super worms get smalls -- they also carry nutrigrubs which are BSFL -- I have another site for those as well
www.reptilainarts.com --- you can get some small super worms for him only feed 1-3 every other day on top of his salads
www.symptonbsf.com they have roaches and BSFL order the size NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise I dont know how big he is so look at your charts and go by that --- your BSFL are small they are a great staple feeder DO NOT dust them-- add them to the tops of his salads in front of him feed as many as you want ---
PLEASE NO more meal worms --- he will get hooked on them
hes going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off --- make sure you have correct basking temps 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- and you want surface temps NOT ambient / air
UVB NO coils -- I can post links for good UVB fixtures let me know
these things I just posted are CRUCIAL to the over all health and behavior of the dragon if any of this stuff is off he will not eat please let me know if you need more help - the UVB and basking bulbs are crucial ---NO colored bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulbs NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium on them that is bad for the eyes