• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding beardie while at college

bsauce23

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys, Me and my roommate are about to each get a bearded dragon sometime early next week. I already have his habitat set up. Its a 40 gallon breeder with newspaper for now (hopefully tile soon) and a 100 watt mega ray. The closest reptile shop that sells crickets is about 30 miles away from my school (also where we are buying our dragons). I have a car so its no problem getting there, but I was just wondering a few things about feeding. Approx how many crickets could my baby dragon go through in a week? should I buy a weeks supply, two weeks supply etc from the reptile shop at a time? How about ordering crickets online? Also, If I get a lot of crickets, whats the best way to store them without having to use a huge container(Dorms= not a lot of space). Thanks a lot for your input, all your great knowledge is really appreciated.
Bryan

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a cricket keeper its isnt that large smaller than a bread box hahaha. but depends on your baby could eat 10 a day could be 30 , I always fed mine as many as he would eat in say a 10-15min period or until he showed no more interest.
If you get a cricket keeper depending on the size I buy about 100 at a time. just remember they need water or water crystals, food i use left over ends of fruits or vegis and vitamins you can get cricket food. Some of the members feed dubias and have there own colonys they swear by them but im too chicken for roaches in the house lol but might be a good option for you if you are in a dorm adult crickets are noisy and may cause some problems for you, while they are small it will be fine I dont here the young crickets much.
Im sure some others will post on here and give you some sites to buying dubias and or crickets I think they are cheaper if you buy online as well rather than buying crickets from the pet shops and they deliver to your home so would save you the trip as well.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Baby beardies can eat anywhere from 25 - 75 small crickets in a day.

I always picked mine up locally, so I can't help with a good online vendor. Sorry.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i order my crickets online through www.coldbloods.com but i only use crickets when my roach colony needs some time to grow again...have you thought about using roaches as a feeder? they are far more superior to crickets...crickets bite, jump, smell absolutely horrible and are very messy and are not prolific breeders where roaches are the exact opposite and there are tons of kinds to suit almost everyones needs

Latest posts