• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding amount

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They do grow fast if you keep them warm too, so hopefully we can keep them alive and get them up to size.
My sister lives about an hour and a half away so we will be taking Spyra to her house. She has a 20gallon tank which isn't good I know but I'm hoping it will be okay for 4nights. We took Spyra there and stayed the weekend just to see how shed do and prepare for the trip ahead of time. She seemed to do great. Still ate like a horse and basked/played.
We would take her set up now but it's so heavy. I'm just really hoping it goes well :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's still small enough to fit just fine for 4 days in the 20 gallon. That's really nice that she is going to let Spyra spend the weekend with her. Spyra gets out of the house and goes on her own vacation, pretty cool! And she gets too stay in a beardie hotel! Lol

I bet you have more things packed for Spyra than you do for YOU! Lol

Animals are resilient. I'm sure Spyra will do just fine!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's still small enough to fit just fine for 4 days in the 20 gallon. That's really nice that she is going to let Spyra spend the weekend with her. Spyra gets out of the house and goes on her own vacation, pretty cool! And she gets too stay in a beardie hotel! Lol

I bet you have more things packed for Spyra than you do for YOU! Lol

Animals are resilient. I'm sure Spyra will do just fine!

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. The cage is 30" long and she did seem to have plenty of room in it but I was still worried. Her bag compared to ours is funny lol. We definitely have to spoil our babies :) we even took the blanket she cuddles under on the bed at night. My sister does have experience with snakes, iguanas and geckos so I know she understand how sensitive reptiles are. She should know from past experiences it's important to follow directions. I'll still be calling every hour [emoji23]

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. The cage is 30" long and she did seem to have plenty of room in it but I was still worried. Her bag compared to ours is funny lol. We definitely have to spoil our babies :) we even took the blanket she cuddles under on the bed at night. My sister does have experience with snakes, iguanas and geckos so I know she understand how sensitive reptiles are. She should know from past experiences it's important to follow directions. I'll still be calling every hour [emoji23]

That's good you are taking her blanket. Something else you could do is throw in a dirty, not omg stinky dirty, but something that has your smell on it, yours and Maddie's so that way she can still smell you 2!

I would be calling and doing FaceTime. But I'm sure things will be just fine. That's the "mom" in us that makes us worry about our babies. This shows me you two really really care about Spyra.

And that sounds like the 20 gallon long tank. She will be just fine in that. That's what we've got Lacey in. Wally started out in the same one. Plenty of room for only 4 days!! Worry wort!! Lol I'd be the same way, So I'll shut up! Lol

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the reassurance we are definitely worry worts lol we are going to ask for pictures everyday I'm sure. And I think she will be okay in the tank too, she had stayed in it once before and didn't seem stressed or unhappy.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
And we will have to find a small piece of clothing to place in there with her that's a good idea thank you.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
And we will have to find a small piece of clothing to place in there with her that's a good idea thank you.

Your welcome, maybe sleep with it tonight. What I was told to do was to put it between my breast and skin for as long as I could. I would keep it there for days before I left for vacation. A million years ago! You know when we had real dinosaurs! Lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for the reassurance we are definitely worry worts lol we are going to ask for pictures everyday I'm sure. And I think she will be okay in the tank too, she had stayed in it once before and didn't seem stressed or unhappy.

Your welcome! Now I better hear all about this holiday when you get back! And of course I want to know how Spyra does. It's a shame you 2 live so far away, Spyra could have spent the weekend with her man! Lol

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
She watched some of it then passed out asleep under the blanket. As crazy as it sounds she actually really does enjoy tv I guess it's the movement.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She watched some of it then passed out asleep under the blanket. As crazy as it sounds she actually really does enjoy tv I guess it's the movement.

That's cool. I will have to let Wally watch TV. Usually when he's in bed with me he Sirius on me. Tony got a picture of us, I feel asleep with him tonight. It's so cute, well… not me but the point of the picture.

I didn't know they could see the TV. I thought their vision was like a fly. Where they see a hundred TV's. That's something I'll have to check into. Pretty interesting.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Hmm never heard that I'm not sure. I think flies see like that because they have different sections in their eyes (like a grid?)

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hmm never heard that I'm not sure. I think flies see like that because they have different sections in their eyes (like a grid?)

I'm probably wrong on that. I know they have no sense of height. Like they will walk right off the table and not think twice.

Now I'll have to go do some reading.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes they have bad depth perception (poor things). this is because their eyes are on the sides of their heads. But they actually see pretty well and in full color which I think is pretty cool.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes they have bad depth perception (poor things). this is because their eyes are on the sides of their heads. But they actually see pretty well and in full color which I think is pretty cool.

Wow! That's cool! So they can see the TV!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow! That's cool! So they can see the TV!

Yes they can. Idk what it is but she loves it. She's now to the point she will watch it for a little while than take off and try to find a way to climb onto the entertainment center lol. Maddie had to pick her up and let her have a closer look today

Reactions: jeb

jeb

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think they are amazing creatures. They look so cool I don't like feeding them to her.

Lol they do look cool. I'm not sure I'd wait to feed them until they got big, though... that possibility of them making a mess eating it grosses me out.
I haven't seen the small ones. I could probably handle the small ones but those big ones. No way nope. Not for me! Lol
Well if it makes you feel better I use tongs for everything and my wife handles any spiders in the house. Lol.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol I don't blame you. I hate bugs!!! The horn worms are so small (probably tinier than small sized BSFL if you know how small they are) that she isn't too interested in them. I would like to let them get a little bigger before feeding them but not too big

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Beardies have poor depth perception but can actually see things far away pretty good. When we first got our chameleon we would put him in his free range that was about 6 feet tall and Luci would run around and then stop, look up and freeze because he saw Bumble up the tree!

As far as hornworms go, they grow fast when they are near a heat source and they eat the food that comes in their container. If they run out of food they can be fed greens. I actually let mine feed off of Dexter's greens before I give them to her because that's the only way she gets the greens. I've never been bit by a hornworm but I have seen them fight each other, I've seen them eat other bugs, and I have seen them get very angry. I actually use hornworms to give Dexter her medications. I take an insulin syringe and inject the worms with calcium and other meds that she needs.

I order mine from a place called Great Lakes Hornworm, they are in MI.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Beardies have poor depth perception but can actually see things far away pretty good. When we first got our chameleon we would put him in his free range that was about 6 feet tall and Luci would run around and then stop, look up and freeze because he saw Bumble up the tree!

As far as hornworms go, they grow fast when they are near a heat source and they eat the food that comes in their container. If they run out of food they can be fed greens. I actually let mine feed off of Dexter's greens before I give them to her because that's the only way she gets the greens. I've never been bit by a hornworm but I have seen them fight each other, I've seen them eat other bugs, and I have seen them get very angry. I actually use hornworms to give Dexter her medications. I take an insulin syringe and inject the worms with calcium and other meds that she needs.

I order mine from a place called Great Lakes Hornworm, they are in MI.

Thanks Patsy. we set them on Spyras screen top so that they could get heat from her basking light. The spot they are at is between 80-85 and in two nights we've already noticed a minor difference in size. I didn't know they could have greens but I will be sure to throw some in with them before I give them to Spyra. I have the same issue, some days she eats her veggies and tricks me into thinking she's finally came to terms with them only for her to start refusing them again the next day lol. So anytime I can gutload I take advantage of it. Hopefully we can just keep them alive long enough to get them fat and healthy for her. We ordered smalls because they were much cheaper but we had no idea they would be this small.

Latest posts