• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding adult BDs

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

Just after some solid background info on the 80/20 ratio for adult BDs. Can anybody point me to info on how this ratio was decided to be the correct one?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't really feed mine specifically on a 80/20 ratio. I let mine cut themselves off of the protein on their own (which is definitely less than they would eat as a younger dragon) and offer several plates of greens daily which I know they take in more of that than they do the protein. Not sure if that really helped your question or not. I feel my dragons will cut themselves off on the protein on their own without me having to really regulate it for them.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All beardies are different. Some will actually slow down on their own, others you have to make it happen. Basically after 1 1/2 it is time to have them start to get to the 80/20 ratio. I had to make it happen, although Spyro was never one of those beardies who are huge amounts of crix. I started the weening by cutting from two feedings to one. Then from every day to every other. Finally by the age of 2 I had Spyro down to eating about 50 crix a week. I usually feed him 25 2x a week. That just worked. He never lost any weight and sometimes didn't even eat the full 50. He was a great greens eater though and always was.

The reason behind cutting down as to do with fatty liver disease. Too much protein as they get older can cause this. I am sure that not all dragons, if continued to eat the large amounts of protein, would end up with fatty liver disease, but many have.

As to how this ratio came about, that you've got me. I do know that as long as I have been dealing with beardies this has been the "norm".

Latest posts