• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fattening up my bearded dragon

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. I dont have any concerns about jonnys health (jonny being my bearded dragon). I just want to beef him up. His arms just dont look big enough for his age. He is a year and 5 months old. I got him when he was a tiny baby at a month old. But ya. I just want to beef him up. Make him gain some weight. Currently he eats a bearded dragon formula and sometimes some greens. Its winter so he doesnt eat insects. But ya any tips would be gladly appreciated.
2013-01-17 07.24.49.jpg

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is another picture and im sorry that the picture is upside down Made it right side up for you - MOD

Attachments

• 2012-10-02 20.36.16.jpg
    2012-10-02 20.36.16.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 77

Pat B

Super Moderator
He looks pretty healthy to me. If he wants to eat more then he will. Why doesn't he eat feeders in the winter time? :cool:

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its not that he wont eat any feeders but I prefer tht I dont feed him any becuase he will eat about 50 in 2 weeks and normally I buy mine online 1000 superworms for 27 bucks and then they freeze to death. So basically during the winter he doesn't eat enough worms and they freeze. Or if I buy them in small counts of 50 they won't be enough.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, i strongly suggest you not using superworms as a staple now before its too late. This is a recommendation from the school of hard knocks, nothing parroted. Seriously believe me.

A dragon should be given diversified diet to maintain health and appetite. Truly crickets or roaches should be your dragons staple diet. If your dragon will eat "dragon pellets" that is also a great addition to the main meals. To keep your dragon active though he will need insects for the hunt or stimulation. Greens and vegetables should be offered daily.

Here are some vegetable choices.(Offered everyday, you can choose one, two or as many choices to make a salad for your kid)
escarole, kale, collards, parsley, clover, dandelion greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, only occasionally spinach, only occasionally iceberg lettuce, okra, peas, green beans, zuchinni, squash, grated carrots, sweet potato, bell pepper, frozen mixed vegetables

Good care that "he" needs, will allow your kid to flourish. Giving him care that fits "your" situation will end up with issues.

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks exotic. I know what to feed him. And what his diet should consist of. I just hoping to get some info on how to beef him up. But thanks anyways

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: He looks good to me and as far as 'Beefing' up he will in his own time lol-But he looks great.And if you would like to beef him up more watch out for an over-weight dragon. River-7

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its not that he wont eat any feeders but I prefer tht I dont feed him any becuase he will eat about 50 in 2 weeks and normally I buy mine online 1000 superworms for 27 bucks and then they freeze to death. So basically during the winter he doesn't eat enough worms and they freeze. Or if I buy them in small counts of 50 they won't be enough.
At 5 months old, it should be eating\served that many in a few days. You want to beef it up, feed it a decent amount of Prey year round ... I also feed pellets, but roaches are their main diet. Supers are a very fatty feeder to be used as a staple also.

Latest posts