• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye + Respiratory Infection?

gev

Bearded Dragon Egg
This issue dates back to last year, around this time. My bearded dragon was lost outside and managed to survive for 2 weeks in the wilderness during the fall. My neighbour found her, and she was in fantastic condition. We took care of her properly when she came back, but her condition has steadily declined to where it is now.

Yes, I understand that she needs to see a vet ASAP, which I plan to do, but I would like to receive some advice in the meantime that can help her as I save the funding needed to get her healed. She has some respiratory issues(open mouth to breathe, noise when she tries to breathe occasionally, etc.), and her eyes are now drooped (pictures attached below). She still eats live food properly, but I need to hand-feed it to her and she won't eat it if we leave them in the cage(Hornworms & Mealworms only - she hates crickets now). Currently, I puree a mixture of fruits and add vitamin supplements into the blend to ensure she gets the proper nutrients. (Picture below)

If I had to pinpoint her issue to something exactly, it would be her lighting. I was influenced by a shop owner that getting a UV bulb was completely fine instead of buying a UV strip from a competitor and it is my biggest regret to this day.

Can I help reduce the swelling of her eye?

Has anybody ever faced a similar issue? What did the vet classify the infection as?

What would be the approx costs of a vet visit & the medication in Vancouver, BC?

Thank you for the time, I appreciate all the help. Every time I see her I want to cry. She's 4 years old and has brought so much joy to my life.

Attachments

• 20181106_124256.jpg
    20181106_124256.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 20181106_124248.jpg
    20181106_124248.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20181106_123310.jpg
    20181106_123310.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 20181106_123326.jpg
    20181106_123326.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • 20181106_123748.jpg
    20181106_123748.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 20181106_123825.jpg
    20181106_123825.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35

lesmisfan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Switch her to a tube uvb asap. Also get her treated for parasites as what youre describing sounds like that plus lack of UVB.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lesmisfan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, ditch the dragon pellets and feed proper bearded dragon food such as mustard greens and collard greens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The tank is kinda short for her. They really should have a tank that is as tall as they are long. Also, fruit is not a good thing to use for a slurry. Fruits are high in sugar and should only be used as a treat. Try blending up healthy greens, collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens and mix with a little spring water and supplements. She really does need a strip UVB bulb. The bulb type ones don't cover enough of the tank.

Latest posts