• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye problem after shedding

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
My Beardie Jesse just had a shed on his eyes. He's 13. Now he doesn't want to open one of his eyes. I can't get into my vet until 2-3, Any suggestions what to do in the meantime?
P.S. He's the guy on the log.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is there still shed skin stuck on the eye? I would do a nice warm bath and rub a Q-tip over the eye lid with maybe some Repti-Shed or coconut oil.

Not sure how Jesse feels about it or even if you have one but Dexter LOVES sitting under our hand held shower head. When she sheds her head, I usually run it over her head with warm water and she closes her eyes and soaks it in.

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
I can't tell if there's shed left. When I try to open his eye myself he squeezes so tight I'm afraid I'll hurt him. He like a grumpy old curmudgeon these days.
Those are two great ideas I'll try them both.
Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Good luck. I hope it's just stuck shed and not something more serious.

Bran4

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a question and can't figure out how to start my own conversation!! My beardie is eating 25 crickets a time! At one sitting it is maybe a month and a half! Not sure if it is a boy or girl...

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
Took Jesse to the vet again today. His eye infection has cleared up and the cornea is healed but he still doesn't want to open his eye. We're going to do an eye drop with steroidal anti-inflammatories for a week to see if that helps. I hope he will open his eye because he doesn't want to eat anything but those little pink cubes and greens. Any thoughts?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Took Jesse to the vet again today. His eye infection has cleared up and the cornea is healed but he still doesn't want to open his eye. We're going to do an eye drop with steroidal anti-inflammatories for a week to see if that helps. I hope he will open his eye because he doesn't want to eat anything but those little pink cubes and greens. Any thoughts?

I'm at a loss, I don't know. I wonder why he doesn't want to open his eye. Will he eat from a syringe? You could try some baby food with some calcium/vitamins mixed in.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He thinks it will still hurt, a natural response to any injury. Give him time and ffered what he will eat with a little extra multi-vitamin dust

Latest posts