• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye bulge

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
It was recently brought to my attention that Precious's eye appeared to be bulging. Her one eye is bigger but when I've looked up eye bulging, it doesn't quite look like the pictures I've seen. She just shed the skin around this exact eye 4 days ago.
I am unclear about what this is...is it something to worry about or not because from what I read, it seems normal especially since she just shed that eye? Is this something that I try to get her seen by the vet right away for, or do I wait a few days?
0709172103a-01.jpeg 0709172104-01.jpeg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Typically eye bulge is shedding process it's unclear how long that lasts...Vit A toxicity would be another concern that you want to look at what foods your feeding that have high Vit A in them. If the diet isn't holding high amounts a vet check to the levels in her bloodwork..

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for your response. Hmm, I do give her carrots but not often. It seems when she's on her greens strike, I can get her interested again by throwing a few shreds of carrot in it but she doesn't even eat all of them. She gets collards and turnip greens primarily and I add eggplant and green beans. This is the average salad, sometimes I add a few other things. She'd prefer to just eat green beans, has a tendency to eat them first or just pick these out.
Ok, I'm scared. I'll call her vet in the morning to make an appointment.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would have her looked at just to be safe. Dexter has one eye bigger than the other but you have to really stare at it to realize that it is bigger.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
The reptile vet who's always seen mine isn't available until next Thurs. I could have made an appt this week with another vet, but they don't normally see reptiles and I wouldn't feel as confident. I chose to wait for next Thurs...unless of course, she got worse.
Did I make the right decision? Can she wait that long? Otherwise, everything is going very well with her as far I can tell...eating, normal poops (had a negative fecal in Feb), active.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She should be fine. Just keep an eye on her, if something starts seeming off then take her to the other vet.

I know how nerve wracking it is. I tried to get Dexter in to the vet the Thursday before the holiday but they only had an appointment during the day and I couldn't leave work. The next appointment I could get was a week later and I stressed the whole time! Luckily she was okay.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Patsy, this does has me a nervous wreck! I don't know if it's wishful thinking but I came home, went to take her out just now and it actually looks almost back to normal?
My son reminded me...a week ago, she was just running along the sofa like she's done many times, but kept on going and fell. She laid splattered on the ground, looking at me with total shock. I coddled her, checked her over, she seemed OK. But now I'm wondering if she might have banged her eye, the corner of the windowsill was right there? Maybe she was laying there in pain, rather than shock and that's why her head was tilted like this in the picture:
IMG_20170702_143222_761.jpg 0710171440a-01.jpeg 0710171440b-01.jpeg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG, I miss her face!!!!!!

It does look like it's gone down. Actually this is kinda what Dexer's eye looks like. Where it looks a little swollen but not sure.

Latest posts