• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo terra light dome going haywire??

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
I just bought a new Exo terra ubv deep dome for my UVB light and have had it running since Saturday.

Tonight on my routine midnight trip to the washroom I had noticed it doing something odd. I flick off the lights at 8pm every night using the switches attached to the cords.

I noticed the area where the switch is was lot up an orange colour like there was an orange led in it. Also noticed when looking under at the bulb that it was flicking on and off like flashing the light for dome reason. I showed my hubby he reluctantly got out of bed to look at it.

He said hmm that's weird and turned the power bar off and it stopped. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Should I try returning the fixture?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes return the fixture. There most likely is a short in the switch.

Side not would recommend using the UVB in florescent tube and not the spiral ones. Either reptiglow or reptisun 10.0

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
I don't have a strip fixture, can't afford one ATM :( just spent 300+ on her new enclosure.

When I do have some extra where can I get a cheap strip fluorescent fixture? Should I just buy one of those aquarium ballasts ? Then how would I set it up in the enclosure? Thanks :)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
uploadfromtaptalk1394628434240.jpg

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
It's a glass enclosure the Exo terra one with a nice foam background maybe I could mount the one I linked on the side wall where she basks because the side is 18" if it fits

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's a glass enclosure the Exo terra one with a nice foam background maybe I could mount the one I linked on the side wall where she basks because the side is 18" if it fits
Yes that should be fine. I have the 24" one from walmart cost me about $9.00

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just remember also if it has a plastic cover over the UVB bulb take it off.

So with the money you get back from returning the faulty fixture you should end up with enough to get the UVB tube and fixture.

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Thing is I don't think they will give me my money back for the fixture... They most likely will give me store credit.. So ill most likely get a discount on the tube then.

Looks from the pic like it goes have done kind of cover so ill rem to remove it. I'm hoping they still at least give me credit because I would have had it hit a week.. I'm planning to return it on the weekend.

Tim, how did you mount yours to your enclosure? I was thinking silicone but I don't want to have it permanently posted there and have to scrape it off if I have to remove it or sell the enclosure.. Is there an easy quick way to mount one? It would prolly weigh a considerable amount, thanks

My name is Meg btw :)

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1394672147643.jpg
hi meg. This is what mine looks like. I just used heavy duty velcro that i got at walmart for like $3. cut it into 3 strips that fit the width of the fixture and hung it up. I didnt want one big long strip just in case i ever did want to change it.;) but up to u how u wanna do it. The fixture is also very light just cheap plastic.

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Awesome idea with the Velcro! I should have known better my dad is like addicted to that s***! It's his solvent even over duct tape haha!

Ill definitely try they before I go the permanent route, thanks for the help! I'm going to try get that done this weekend. ;) xxoo

Latest posts