• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra 36x18x18 lighting help

andsoitgoes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

So I have my full setup going now, but I"m trying to get my butt in gear and order new lighting for my gal, but I don't want to drop a ton for stuff online only to have it not work for my setup.

I purchased the setup second hand, and unfortunately there are some issues that I'm trying to resolve.

Thanks to another poster here, I've set it so that I don't have to worry about the plastic getting burned from the light, but that still leaves a bigger problem, and I want to ensure I'm doing this correctly. A lot hinges on my incoming amazon shipment with a infrared thermometer, as the only thing I could find locally was triple the price.

Here is the basking spot and general tank layout. I plan on switching out the UVB bulb as well, I'm ordering that in with the lights. The thing is, this is an 18" tank and I know it's a struggle to keep it properly heated. Currently the light they have is extra wide, and houses an infrared 150w basking bulb. The log that is in the picture tends to be a bit slippery, and I've yet to see her voluntarily climb up it to chill, whether that's because she doesn't need it or because she can't, I don't know. I'm VERY lost as to how else to set it up. I couldn't find ANYTHING basking wise at the pet store, and was barely able to find the bloody tile for the flooring.

gEXS4PJh.jpg

juQamDNh.jpg

vzgvAzzh.jpg

TL;DR - I bought 2x 75w Philips Ecovantage halogen bulbs and a dimmer cord with the potential of buying the double mini-dome light fixture which I would attach onto the ExoTerra light bracket, hanging it horizontally to pretty much fill the spot where the current basking light is.

I was also going to get a second mini-dome (single) for the other side and attach a lower wattage bulb just to keep the entire tank relatively warm.

I just need some help in figuring this out. I'm just wanting to make this perfect, and I seem to be having a
really challenging time trying to make that happen between getting the right lighting, finding a good way to set up a basking spot and not burning down my bloody house!

Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I am horrible with lighting. At one point I could open my own bulb store with all of the different sorts of lights I've bought. To stop my headache, I just buy the "basking" bulbs from the pet store/Amazon. I have the same tank and the 150 watt basking bulb works perfect for my little one to get his temps up to 110+. (I need to get a 100 or 75 watt for my girl because the 150 watt is too much for her). As far as the cool side of my tank, it's the same temp that it is in my house 75-80 degrees. I also have a CHE that I can use if it does get too cold.

You will want to get a basking spot that will get her close enough to 105 degrees (she's looks like she's at least a year right?) Maybe put some extra tiles under the wood to make it a bit higher. Get rid of the red light, the red light at night CAN* disrupt their sleep cycle. If you want to heat at night use a CHE, something that doesn't give off light. For a heat bulb during the day you def want something that is going to mimic natural light. Like I said I just use the "basking" bulbs, I know other people use other things. Also, you want an area so she can get close enough to the UVB. Since the UVB is on top of the mesh she should be 4 inches from it. I'll take a picture of my set up so you can get an idea.

*I put an asterisk next to CAN because don't use a red light in my dragon's tanks but I do with my frogs and they are in the same room, right next to each other. The red light is on a hygrotherm so it goes on and off when the temp of their tank gets below a certain level. I have never had any problem with them being woken up or stressed over the light or the frogs jumping around their tank all night. I still wouldn't put a red light on the dragon's tank out of fear it might bother them because it is on their tank.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is Dexter, she's a little upset because she had to go to bed.
image.jpg

This just shoes how close they are to the frogs. As you can see we've kinda modified the domes so they fit on the top without melting it. The on on this tank is my back up because the other one stopped working.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 41

smackey

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im using the same viv from exoterra. I used to have a lot of unnecessary crap inside but now i just like to keep it simple. This is my current setup and my beardie loves the extra space available.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406124117.022836.jpg

Latest posts