• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Encouraging Greens

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Our beardie is supposedly 4-5 months old. Breeder wasn’t positive and he doesn’t reply to texts since we bought her (he says it’s a her??). I’ve tried mixing collard greens, kale, cucumber, and apple. No luck, added some bsfl to the mix, she ate a couple and left the rest alone. Once in a while she would see a larva and go grab it. But her dubias in today and hammered them. About 15 of them (they’re 3/8” small) for breakfast and same for dinner. Just trying to figure out how to get her to eat greens???? Anyone have any tips??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Our beardie is supposedly 4-5 months old. Breeder wasn’t positive and he doesn’t reply to texts since we bought her (he says it’s a her??). I’ve tried mixing collard greens, kale, cucumber, and apple. No luck, added some bsfl to the mix, she ate a couple and left the rest alone. Once in a while she would see a larva and go grab it. But her dubias in today and hammered them. About 15 of them (they’re 3/8” small) for breakfast and same for dinner. Just trying to figure out how to get her to eat greens???? Anyone have any tips??
Well you've done what I was going to suggest- I would feed that what you've done first thing in the morning - are you using a bowl that the bsfl can't get out of - your small dubias won't be able to get out of a bowl w/ a lip on it - I can post a link for a good bowl for you - if she's eating some greens that's good- her main diet is 80% protein and 20% veggies- the main thing is her surface basking temps-- how are you taking them? And the uvb- No coils please -

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Well you've done what I was going to suggest- I would feed that what you've done first thing in the morning - are you using a bowl that the bsfl can't get out of - your small dubias won't be able to get out of a bowl w/ a lip on it - I can post a link for a good bowl for you - if she's eating some greens that's good- her main diet is 80% protein and 20% veggies- the main thing is her surface basking temps-- how are you taking them? And the uvb- No coils please -
Her UVB is a 24” Arcadia tube. Surface basking is 105-110. I check that with a probe thermometer and then also a heat gun to get a more exact “spot”. Middle of her enclosure is about 90 and cool side about 80. I use The second probe thermo to check those areas. I do notice she tends to sit away from the UVB when she basks. But she sort of moves around. From under it, to aside of it. Her poop seems normal, pretty regular, every morning. Sometimes again later in the day.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her UVB is a 24” Arcadia tube. Surface basking is 105-110. I check that with a probe thermometer and then also a heat gun to get a more exact “spot”. Middle of her enclosure is about 90 and cool side about 80. I use The second probe thermo to check those areas. I do notice she tends to sit away from the UVB when she basks. But she sort of moves around. From under it, to aside of it. Her poop seems normal, pretty regular, every morning. Sometimes again later in the day.
Good UVB is it in the tank? If so distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - if its on the screen the screen must be a wide hole type w/ distance 8-10 inches directly above the decor piece - when she gets to be around 6 months I would lower the surface basking temp to 95-100 most dragons as they get older do not like the real hot temps - just keep offering the greens w/ the BSFL on them and add the dubias in the bowl at a later time- he main diet is those bugs tho but you want her eating the greens as that is where she gets most of her hydration from - you can rinse the greens before serving as well

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Good UVB is it in the tank? If so distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - if its on the screen the screen must be a wide hole type w/ distance 8-10 inches directly above the decor piece - when she gets to be around 6 months I would lower the surface basking temp to 95-100 most dragons as they get older do not like the real hot temps - just keep offering the greens w/ the BSFL on them and add the dubias in the bowl at a later time- he main diet is those bugs tho but you want her eating the greens as that is where she gets most of her hydration from - you can rinse the greens before serving as well
It’s on top and about 8” higher. Give or take. I offered her dubias today with her greens and she did get a couple greens. I saw eat them. I’m going to add dubias and BSFL this evening for her last meal. Also tried turnip greens and mustard greens. Which is what she ate. Wouldn’t eat the strawberries though haha

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s on top and about 8” higher. Give or take. I offered her dubias today with her greens and she did get a couple greens. I saw eat them. I’m going to add dubias and BSFL this evening for her last meal. Also tried turnip greens and mustard greens. Which is what she ate. Wouldn’t eat the strawberries though haha
Try some blue berries but feed sparingly they are high in sugar- and some dragons love them

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Try some blue berries but feed sparingly they are high in sugar- and some dragons love them
Totally different subject. Is it pretty common for a beardie that age to NOT want to be handled? She won’t bite but she would much rather be left in her enclosure. If i try To touch her before picking her up, most cases she will run away. I never chase after her I’ll wait until she’s in a spot I can safely pick her up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Totally different subject. Is it pretty common for a beardie that age to NOT want to be handled? She won’t bite but she would much rather be left in her enclosure. If i try To touch her before picking her up, most cases she will run away. I never chase after her I’ll wait until she’s in a spot I can safely pick her up.
Sorry thought we were talking about food -- totally normal - your a big giant to her and she is scared --- you want to hand tame her so I would work w/ petting her in the tank approach from the side never over head she will think your a predator -- do you have a piece of cloth or blanket in the tank for her w/ your smell on it ? She will get used to your scent in the tank and trust is a big deal -- letting her adjust to her tank and surroundings is key here - it took me months to get Blaze hand tamed - I only took him out of the tank for 5 min at a time right outside the tank - he ran from me as well and would try and bite etc -- he was mean!! Now he is a baby --- calm and lets me hold him w/ no issues ---

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry thought we were talking about food -- totally normal - your a big giant to her and she is scared --- you want to hand tame her so I would work w/ petting her in the tank approach from the side never over head she will think your a predator -- do you have a piece of cloth or blanket in the tank for her w/ your smell on it ? She will get used to your scent in the tank and trust is a big deal -- letting her adjust to her tank and surroundings is key here - it took me months to get Blaze hand tamed - I only took him out of the tank for 5 min at a time right outside the tank - he ran from me as well and would try and bite etc -- he was mean!! Now he is a baby --- calm and lets me hold him w/ no issues ---
We absolutely were talking about food. I switched It up. That’s what we will do. We will put a piece of clothes in her enclosure. Since I’m like a ping pong ball….about the food again…..it seems like she will never stop eating, is that normal? Am I not feeding her enough? She probably eats 30 small dubias and 15 BSFL. Plus 3-4 super worms (my son hand feeds her those). And an occasional green by accident.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We absolutely were talking about food. I switched It up. That’s what we will do. We will put a piece of clothes in her enclosure. Since I’m like a ping pong ball….about the food again…..it seems like she will never stop eating, is that normal? Am I not feeding her enough? She probably eats 30 small dubias and 15 BSFL. Plus 3-4 super worms (my son hand feeds her those). And an occasional green by accident.
She needs greens -- even if its a little bit now -- make sure your feeding the appropriate size for the dubias - too small of ones they are going to eat a ton of them - there is a chart on www.dubiaroaches.com look there and do not feed anything bigger than the space between the eyes -- if your going to increase the bugs increase your BSFL - start feeding 25 of them see if that decreases the roaches - are you feeding 2 times per day?

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
She needs greens -- even if its a little bit now -- make sure your feeding the appropriate size for the dubias - too small of ones they are going to eat a ton of them - there is a chart on www.dubiaroaches.com look there and do not feed anything bigger than the space between the eyes -- if your going to increase the bugs increase your BSFL - start feeding 25 of them see if that decreases the roaches - are you feeding 2 times per day?
Yeah. Morning and evening. The size of the roaches is very close to the size between her eyes. I keep putting greens in, even though she only eats about 4-6 pieces, accidentally. Haha.

I’ll increase the BSFL tomorrow too. Just don’t want to under or over feed her.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah. Morning and evening. The size of the roaches is very close to the size between her eyes. I keep putting greens in, even though she only eats about 4-6 pieces, accidentally. Haha.

I’ll increase the BSFL tomorrow too. Just don’t want to under or over feed her.
Ok just follow her lead- they usually won't over eat-

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Ok just follow her lead- they usually won't over eat-
Sooooo total change of pace. We moved her enclosure into my sons room. Less activity than where she was and where she’s supposed to stay. Since the move she doesn’t seem to have an appetite….she pooped this morning but won’t eat, roaches,Bsfl, or greens. Seems very uncommon of her. You think that’s due to the move? I’m nervous because she ate a big superworm yesterday and the whole impaction thing seems very common?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sooooo total change of pace. We moved her enclosure into my sons room. Less activity than where she was and where she’s supposed to stay. Since the move she doesn’t seem to have an appetite….she pooped this morning but won’t eat, roaches,Bsfl, or greens. Seems very uncommon of her. You think that’s due to the move? I’m nervous because she ate a big superworm yesterday and the whole impaction thing seems very common?
I dont think one superworm is going to impact her -- usually takes a bunch of them at one time -- the move has caused the not eating - its relocation stress -- the less activity in the room now is going to be lonely for her -- why did you move her? Shes going to need time to adjust to the move and the quiet now- give her a few days make sure shes offered water either by dropping water on the nose so she will lick or eye dropper or a bath if she drinks from them ---

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
I dont think one superworm is going to impact her -- usually takes a bunch of them at one time -- the move has caused the not eating - its relocation stress -- the less activity in the room now is going to be lonely for her -- why did you move her? Shes going to need time to adjust to the move and the quiet now- give her a few days make sure shes offered water either by dropping water on the nose so she will lick or eye dropper or a bath if she drinks from them ---
We had her in the kitchen because she was a gift for our son for Christmas. We now moved her to her permanent location. Just didn’t want to move her time after time. Tried giving her time to adjust. Maybe we shouldn’t have done that?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We had her in the kitchen because she was a gift for our son for Christmas. We now moved her to her permanent location. Just didn’t want to move her time after time. Tried giving her time to adjust. Maybe we shouldn’t have done that?
Just make sure your temps and UVB are on par --- she will adjust and keep offering her food -- she will eventually come around --- even if shes eating only a little bit thats good --- its when she quits eating all together is a problem- are you supervising the dragon w/ the sons care? Please do --- I do not think to be honest they are a childs pet --dragons are more of a complex animal and they wont show signs of illness till they are really sick or about dead - that is a instinct thing ---

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
We gave her a bath today. She seemed to really like swimming around and pooped in there so we got her out and dry and she ate. Made us more comfortable knowing she is “ok”. Thanks for the security of knowing it was from relocating.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
We gave her a bath today. She seemed to really like swimming around and pooped in there so we got her out and dry and she ate. Made us more comfortable knowing she is “ok”. Thanks for the security of knowing it was from relocating.
My beardie didn’t eat for two weeks, I only moved his tank from one side of the room to another. They really react to changes of their view from the viv. Every year at Xmas my guy gets the hump for a few days because of the decorations :rolleyes:.

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie didn’t eat for two weeks, I only moved his tank from one side of the room to another. They really react to changes of their view from the viv. Every year at Xmas my guy gets the hump for a few days because of the decorations :rolleyes:.
Wow!!! That’s crazy to know but good. Seems like they’re a little touchy as juvies so I’m a little over cautious I suppose. She’s our first ever reptile pet, so it’s all new to us. Thank you!!!

Latest posts