• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure set up help

Darcee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so I am new to this but I have recently finished making an enclosure and was just wondering if this is (see photos) a suitable set up of a bearded Dragon? Also which is better to get for a first timer: an adult or a juvenile? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5316.jpg
    IMG_5316.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Beautiful enclosure. You could use that for a bearded dragon. It's got UVB, now all you need is a basking bulb for the basking spot. If the substrate is loose (it looks like sand) I wouldn't feed inside the enclosure. Sand can barely hazardous, especially for babies, who like to taste test their environment which can lead to impaction issues.

It's up to you, and what you're prepared for when it comes to a juvie or an adult. Babies require higher temps, and LOTS of insects. Adults need slightly lower temps, fewer insects and more greens. I'm guessing the enclosure is a 40 gallon, which is suitable for an adult, but yours is also busy enough that a juvenile should feel secure. It's up to you! There are a lot of adult beardies out there that need good homes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's a real nice enclosure. I second what Eavlynn said about the sand. Can't tell though if it's excavator clay or sand or something else.

Babies are nice because you can see their personality grow with them but they can also be a lot of work. They eat a TON. They need to be fed 3X a day and can easily eat 60+ crickets a day. Babies can also be skittish and take some time to calm down. If you don't know your baby came from and how it was breed, it could have been born with ADV (stargazing disease) or could just have failure to thrive. So there are a lot of factors in getting a baby.

Now from a personal standpoint. I got two of mine as babies and watched them grow to be what they are today and I feel a bond and connection to them. Last year I rescued a dragon of unknown age, we think she's probably about 2 1/2 now. I love her, but I just don't have that same connection. I'm always wondering how she was treated before she got to me.

Darcee

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's a real nice enclosure. I second what Eavlynn said about the sand. Can't tell though if it's excavator clay or sand or something else.

Babies are nice because you can see their personality grow with them but they can also be a lot of work. They eat a TON. They need to be fed 3X a day and can easily eat 60+ crickets a day. Babies can also be skittish and take some time to calm down. If you don't know your baby came from and how it was breed, it could have been born with ADV (stargazing disease) or could just have failure to thrive. So there are a lot of factors in getting a baby.

Now from a personal standpoint. I got two of mine as babies and watched them grow to be what they are today and I feel a bond and connection to them. Last year I rescued a dragon of unknown age, we think she's probably about 2 1/2 now. I love her, but I just don't have that same connection. I'm always wondering how she was treated before she got to me.

Hi yes it's a mix of red sand from up North of Australia where we saw a lot of Bearded Dragons so we thought it was just right to use that as a substrate. We were told that it might stain them so I mixed it with a bit of sand we bought.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darcee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Beautiful enclosure. You could use that for a bearded dragon. It's got UVB, now all you need is a basking bulb for the basking spot. If the substrate is loose (it looks like sand) I wouldn't feed inside the enclosure. Sand can barely hazardous, especially for babies, who like to taste test their environment which can lead to impaction issues.

It's up to you, and what you're prepared for when it comes to a juvie or an adult. Babies require higher temps, and LOTS of insects. Adults need slightly lower temps, fewer insects and more greens. I'm guessing the enclosure is a 40 gallon, which is suitable for an adult, but yours is also busy enough that a juvenile should feel secure. It's up to you! There are a lot of adult beardies out there that need good homes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi I do have a ceramic bulb up in the back corner. Thank you for the feeding advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts