• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure Essentials

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, below is what I’m planning on for my terrarium. My terrarium is a Zen Habitats 4'x2'x2'
Besides what’s on my list is there anything you’d add, any suggestions, comments? I’ll be bringing my dragon home within the next couple weeks. I’m getting all sorts of excited.
- reptisun 10.0 HO tube uvb bulb
- reptisun 10.0 fluorescent fixture
- should I mount the uvb bulb inside or outside of the terrarium? If mount inside the enclosure should it be mounted snug against the top of the tank or below? If below how many inches below?
- basking bulb, typical GE bulb
- dome fixture for basking bulb
- basking log/rock
- Che, my room temp at night is probably in the 70-73 degrees temp range. Is a Che necessary?
- digital thermometer
- substrate, I’d like to go with a biotank enclosure. Any suggested reading
on biotanks . Or avoid biotanks and go with Home Depot tiles
Anything to add would be great. Thanks so much.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, to sum it up I’m about to place an order for all the items on this wishlist. just looking for your opinions. Is there anything you’d change? Is there anything you add?thanks.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would not suggest getting a basking Rock they can burn your bearded dragon. I personally like to put the UVB bulb inside the tank. Mount it an inch below the top of the tank is what I like to do. I like bioactive tanks they are harder to maintain and are more expensive but I think they look nicer it's up to you.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would not suggest getting a basking Rock they can burn your bearded dragon. I personally like to put the UVB bulb inside the tank. Mount it an inch below the top of the tank is what I like to do. I like bioactive tanks they are harder to maintain and are more expensive but I think they look nicer it's up to you.
Thanks for the reply. Any suggested reading for biotanks? thanks again

Spyro2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have the same question regarding mounting the UVB inside the tank or above the mesh. I have read that the mesh celing of the tank can prevent a significant amount of the UV rays from reaching the dragon, and have read that it is advised to have it about 12" from the dragon. I do not own a beardie yet though so I am just sharing what I have found online so far. Can anyone else confirm or add their opinion?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes put the light inside the tank. Putting it on top of the mesh will get rid of a lot of the UV. I would highly suggest watching the bio dude's video on bioactive tanks. If you have any more questions about bioactive tanks I will be happy to answer.

N W

Juvenile Dragon
I have the same question regarding mounting the UVB inside the tank or above the mesh. I have read that the mesh celing of the tank can prevent a significant amount of the UV rays from reaching the dragon, and have read that it is advised to have it about 12" from the dragon. I do not own a beardie yet though so I am just sharing what I have found online so far. Can anyone else confirm or add their opinion?
I know there are some sites that cover this - Arcadia (that manufactures bulbs) may be one of them. My understanding is that T5 can go on top but T8 should go inside. Depending on the height of the enclosure, because T5 is stronger and needs to be at least a certain distance away.
I'm new, so I would definitely reference one of the graphics out there.

Latest posts