• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure Critique

Pepper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. I have finally signed up to the forum after reading numerous posts over the last 6 months. I’m a pretty new Bearded Dragon owner, and reading previous posts has helped a lot. My apologies for the length of this post, but like other noobs, I need some validation, supervision, and confidence building that I’m helping and not hurting our new member of the Family. Any comments or guidance will be much appreciated.

We got Pepper in Oct ’21, so I’m assuming she was born in Sept ‘21. I’m assuming she’s a female, but not confirmed yet. She’s at 11.5 inches now. We did purchase her at Petsmart. I’m now aware of a lot of concerns of buying from them, and other big stores. Regardless, we’ve got her now. I finally completed her enclosure made from a dresser. It measures 49”wide x 16” tall x 15” deep.

The basking area is on the top right. The 60w bulb consistently keeps the surface area on the top right between 105 +/- 3 degrees. The UVB tube light is a T5 10.0 HO, 39w, and 34”, so it does cover approx 2/3 of the enclosure. The top of the right platform is 11 inches from the UVB bulb and basking build. She likes to sit on the rock on the platform which makes it about 1.5 inches closer.

The humidity is in the low 30’s on the upper right and mid 20’s on the lower left. Temps are 105-ish on the upper right and low 70’s on the lower left. Night time temps are mid/ low 70s. I use a digital gun thermometer.

The terrain and back/ side walls are made of Styrofoam covered with grout and polyurethane. Ventilation is through the two vents on the back wall. The plant is an Aloe plant (She has yet to touch the plant though).

We feed her 15-20 small/ med crickets daily. We finally got some roaches for her too. She’s knocking down 10-15 of those per day as well, but I think I purchased some that were way too small. She eats quite a few pieces of kale daily. A few blueberries and small shavings of carrots are given a few times a week.

She’s not the most interactive animal. Quite frankly, she doesn’t seem to want to interact with anyone. She’ll bask for hours at a time, and has recently starting gaping while she’s basking. We’ll bring her out of the cage daily, but she’s not a runner. She’ll just sit and stare. Also, she rarely goes into her “cave” areas. Even at night, she’ll mostly sleep on the top right or top left.

Any thoughts or comments? Positive and negative would both be beneficial. Thank you!
IMG_5069 (1).jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone. I have finally signed up to the forum after reading numerous posts over the last 6 months. I’m a pretty new Bearded Dragon owner, and reading previous posts has helped a lot. My apologies for the length of this post, but like other noobs, I need some validation, supervision, and confidence building that I’m helping and not hurting our new member of the Family. Any comments or guidance will be much appreciated.

We got Pepper in Oct ’21, so I’m assuming she was born in Sept ‘21. I’m assuming she’s a female, but not confirmed yet. She’s at 11.5 inches now. We did purchase her at Petsmart. I’m now aware of a lot of concerns of buying from them, and other big stores. Regardless, we’ve got her now. I finally completed her enclosure made from a dresser. It measures 49”wide x 16” tall x 15” deep.

The basking area is on the top right. The 60w bulb consistently keeps the surface area on the top right between 105 +/- 3 degrees. The UVB tube light is a T5 10.0 HO, 39w, and 34”, so it does cover approx 2/3 of the enclosure. The top of the right platform is 11 inches from the UVB bulb and basking build. She likes to sit on the rock on the platform which makes it about 1.5 inches closer.

The humidity is in the low 30’s on the upper right and mid 20’s on the lower left. Temps are 105-ish on the upper right and low 70’s on the lower left. Night time temps are mid/ low 70s. I use a digital gun thermometer.

The terrain and back/ side walls are made of Styrofoam covered with grout and polyurethane. Ventilation is through the two vents on the back wall. The plant is an Aloe plant (She has yet to touch the plant though).

We feed her 15-20 small/ med crickets daily. We finally got some roaches for her too. She’s knocking down 10-15 of those per day as well, but I think I purchased some that were way too small. She eats quite a few pieces of kale daily. A few blueberries and small shavings of carrots are given a few times a week.

She’s not the most interactive animal. Quite frankly, she doesn’t seem to want to interact with anyone. She’ll bask for hours at a time, and has recently starting gaping while she’s basking. We’ll bring her out of the cage daily, but she’s not a runner. She’ll just sit and stare. Also, she rarely goes into her “cave” areas. Even at night, she’ll mostly sleep on the top right or top left.

Any thoughts or comments? Positive and negative would both be beneficial. Thank you!View attachment 31444
Your tank is really nice --- the only thing I can say is watch the distance for the UVB for a T 5 distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - but I think the 11" is going to be ok for her - I would invest in some digital probe thermometers place one where she is sitting to bask I see shes gaping in the picture that is good - as she gets older shes not going to want those high temps around 5-6 months 95-100- you dont need to leave the probe there you can place it on the wall and it will give you ambient temps - 90's or so the other probe place on your cool side of the tank - I also would invest in a digital probe hygrometer https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read your whole tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% you dont want anything lower than 20 and nothing higher than 70%
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Pepper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, Sadie, I do appreciate the help. I do have the digital hygrometer (see the black cord in the back middle). I move that around ever couple of days to check the different sections. I agree with you on the T5 distance being a little too close. I purchased a 5.0 originally, but I kept reading 5.0 needs to be much closer and that the 10.0 is much better. I figured more UVB is better than too little UVB. It's difficult to get a straight answer from the internet these days.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, Sadie, I do appreciate the help. I do have the digital hygrometer (see the black cord in the back middle). I move that around ever couple of days to check the different sections. I agree with you on the T5 distance being a little too close. I purchased a 5.0 originally, but I kept reading 5.0 needs to be much closer and that the 10.0 is much better. I figured more UVB is better than too little UVB. It's difficult to get a straight answer from the internet these days.
The 11 inches isnt going to bother her too much and she has hides to go to if she needs them

Latest posts