• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egon went from bright orange to dark brown- curious question

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Okay.. so silly me has a question and I can't find it anywhere on the site.--- so tolerate a stupid question from me:

Egon was shedding- he took off that outer dead layer and was a pretty orange color- now within the past 2 days he is a dark brown color where the dead skin came off. Is it normal for this? What causes this?
I was just curious

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Huh... my babies usually lighten and brighten when they shed, like they're shedding off the old and bringing out the polished new. Maybe your dragon's adult color is going to be slightly different??? Just a guess.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's possible, but not very likely if you have the light on the outside of the enclosure. Where is it located?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
if im right)if im not im sure germ will correct me) dragons change colors to take in more heat/light or less heat/light. if they want to take in more then thay would turn a darker color(like when you whear a black shirt it makes you hotter) and a more lite color when they are cooling off.

at least this is what i think it changes colors for. what is the temp in its basking spot?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
if im right)if im not im sure germ will correct me) dragons change colors to take in more heat/light or less heat/light. if they want to take in more then thay would turn a darker color(like when you whear a black shirt it makes you hotter) and a more lite color when they are cooling off.

at least this is what i think it changes colors for. what is the temp in its basking spot?
That's quite accurate! Only, it can be affected by stress as well, I believe, so she had a good assumption to begin with.

Latest posts