• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egg Binding or Impaction?

choppedlivi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm a new beardie owner and I'm kind of scared. One day I came home and Mushu (my dragon) was wedged in a corner, looking scared. I tried to go and pick him up to see if something was wrong, but as soon as I removed the top of the enclosure, its almost like he started seizing up. At first I thought he was just pooping, but he looked like he was in pain and his eyes shut and his mouth opened. He looked almost blocky, and I wasnt sure what to do. He couldn't move his legs and he had a bump near his lower back.

We went in to the pet store to see if they could do anything, and they told us they had given us the wrong light. Apparently they didn't give us the UV bulb, just the heat lamp. We think he's only still alive because he was able to get light from the sun.

We set up his new bulb immediately, and gave him baby food and olive oil like all of the websites I visited said to do. He's much better now, and he can walk and he isn't seizing up or laying flat on the floor anymore. He even went after some mealworms. However, he still looks bloated and I'm pretty sure he hasn't pooped. He also doesn't drink water when I give him baths. I'm also still not sure about the exact issue.

If someone could give some insight as to if this is egg binding or impaction, and some other things I can do, that would be
awesome.

(We aren't entirely sure about Mushu's age or sex. We know he's under a year old, but the pet store never told us how old or if he was a boy or girl so we've just been calling him a "he". We don't have loose substrate, we have a reptile carpet, so if Mushu is a female, this could be the cause of the egg binding.)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm a new beardie owner and I'm kind of scared. One day I came home and Mushu (my dragon) was wedged in a corner, looking scared. I tried to go and pick him up to see if something was wrong, but as soon as I removed the top of the enclosure, its almost like he started seizing up. At first I thought he was just pooping, but he looked like he was in pain and his eyes shut and his mouth opened. He looked almost blocky, and I wasnt sure what to do. He couldn't move his legs and he had a bump near his lower back.

We went in to the pet store to see if they could do anything, and they told us they had given us the wrong light. Apparently they didn't give us the UV bulb, just the heat lamp. We think he's only still alive because he was able to get light from the sun.

We set up his new bulb immediately, and gave him baby food and olive oil like all of the websites I visited said to do. He's much better now, and he can walk and he isn't seizing up or laying flat on the floor anymore. He even went after some mealworms. However, he still looks bloated and I'm pretty sure he hasn't pooped. He also doesn't drink water when I give him baths. I'm also still not sure about the exact issue.

If someone could give some insight as to if this is egg binding or impaction, and some other things I can do, that would be
awesome.

(We aren't entirely sure about Mushu's age or sex. We know he's under a year old, but the pet store never told us how old or if he was a boy or girl so we've just been calling him a "he". We don't have loose substrate, we have a reptile carpet, so if Mushu is a female, this could be the cause of the egg binding.)
I dont think its egg binding issue - is Mushu under a year old? Please post a pic of your tank and lighting and Mushu - what UVB did they give you? If its a coil they gave you a inadequate UVB - they cause all kinds of health issues - please dont listen to the pet store people they often give bad advice and sell you stuff you do not need-
I can better help you if you post the pics - this is what you should have for Mushu this is going to get him better and keep him healthy
a clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby it needs to be a surface basking temp or if he is 6 months or older 95-100 - a clear bright white bulb would be something like this a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb these temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer place the probe where Mushu sits for basking and wait 10 min or so and get the temp https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...eters-1/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometerm you want 2 of these one for your basking side and one for the cool side of the tank 80's during the day
a long tube fixture UVB a 24" for a 40 gallon tank
Zoo Med fixture w/ 10.0 T 5 bulb this fixture will come w/a 5.0 keep it for back up but this bulb requires different placement and distance https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures?variant=26907425734756
or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
Impaction be caused by being fed insects too big for them - if he hasnt pooped it is common for older dragons to not poop for days / weeks and since I dont know how old he is I cant tell you for sure if he is impacted - make sure hes hydrated that is key here - he will get moisture from his salads hes eating rinse the greens before serving usually babies poop every day or every other they start slowing down on the pooping as they get older - and what keeps the pooping is the basking temps and the UVB - the temps start digestion and the UVB helps them absorb / synthesize the calcium they are ingesting --- this is extremely important - if you need more help w/ diet or anything else please ask - the UVB has certain distance and placement and that will be determined by the screen your using