• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Effects of non fertile pregnancies on bearded dragons

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do we have proof ? Just wondering ... I have heard that non fertiles are harder on females than fertile eggs... help ?
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what I'm looking for basically, Tom. But should there have been some sort of study... *winks @ Gina and Francis* I would suuuuuuuuuuurely welcome that !
Janie

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sam laid infertiles for about 4 or 5 months straight. She bounced back really well each time....with only about 5 or 6 weeks in between each. Some of the eggs had that "deflated" look and some looked perfectly fine (white and well rounded). She averaged around 25 eggs per event.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good post! Here's my question -

Do we know what causes a female to have infertile eggs? Is there a deficiency of some sort or too much of something? Or is it just normal?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have never heard of it being a deficiency or too much of something to create infertile eggs. If I were to guess to a reason why this would occur (if there is a reason other than it just naturally happens) I would think it would be an excess of calcium and or hormones.

I do know that it takes just as much out of a female to lay infertile eggs as it does fertile eggs, just ask Craig. Also, either fertile or infertile, it is just as important to get your beardie well hydrated, feed, and some extra calcium to replace what was lost during egg laying.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know Gina and I talked about that... well the follicle to egg process...
I think... THINK mind you that, when either a full male or dominant female interacts, not necessarily breeds with the submissive female, that all the chemical cues are in place for an infertile pregnancy to happen.
Janie

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That does make sense Janie!!!

One of the reasons I wanted males. Though they do have thier own problems!!! ;)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is very interesting and I am very interested in what is said. I think that might be so Janie but still very interested to see other opinions.

This is of extra interest to me now because I decided to look at Slyder tonight for the first time and I think Slyder is a SHE not a he. I should have checked sooner since the guy I got him from was a total idiot but took his word for it anyway.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
You know Gina and I talked about that... well the follicle to egg process...
I think... THINK mind you that, when either a full male or dominant female interacts, not necessarily breeds with the submissive female, that all the chemical cues are in place for an infertile pregnancy to happen.
Janie

I think this is exactly what was going on with Sam. I used to think she was a he. Frodo and Sam's enclosures are within visual distance of each other. Frodo used to go crazy black bearding, head bobbing, and running back and forth in his when he saw Sam. She'd respond by waving, mixed with the very slow and gradual head bob. I ended up having to put blankets in front of each enclosure every other day (one day covered, the next day not) to get it to settle down. Eventually, having curtains made. Sam hasn't laid any eggs in a few months, now. I've finally come to where I can leave one half of the curtains open and the other closed and they both seem okay. Both have somewhere to retreat while still having plenty of window space. I'm wanting to move Sam's enclosure to another place in the basement, but need to have some guys over to move it for me. Once moved, it'll be another 12 feet away in the furthest corner from Frodo....yet still within a line of site. Just hoping it's enough to calm them down. Their enclosures will be a good 25 to 30 feet away.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
why do you "wink" at me? lol

when either a full male or dominant female interacts, not necessarily breeds with the submissive female, that all the chemical cues are in place for an infertile pregnancy to happen.

define interact.

And this is partially true.

On to the original question:
. I have heard that non fertiles are harder on females than fertile eggs.

The composition of infertile eggs require the same chemical and hormonal make up as fertile eggs without the addition of sperm.
Here's a really vivid visual for you.............
Give birth to the afterbirth without a baby. Same weight gain, same fluid loss, same vitamin loss, same hormone change, same chemical change, no reason in the end.
Gross I know..........but effective.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah, vivid is good , Gina.. It allows those of us less visually minded to see what it is you want to relate.
Okay, so it is feasible that non fertiles are indeed more strenuous and taxing on a female than fertile pregnancies.
It's just all of us have seen, not necessarily documented this information.
Okay. Interesting..
And why shouldn't I wink at you ? Note I winked at both you and Francis !
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Note I winked at both you and Francis !
so which one of us were you flirting with?

rofl................it's been a long week with no sleep. Over look me.

so it is feasible
no it's documented. UMI or UFL I think. ooooooooooooooooogie. I'm tired.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well not to be partial.. but I flirt with everyone ;)

I know your sleep pattern is off... that's why i try not to tax you too terribly much...

Okay.. I remember... Google is my friend... will look those up in the archives and see what I can find documented.
Janie

Latest posts