• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
So IM wondering about their habits of eating, My Beardie is less than 8 months old. So Far She will only Eat crickets. I Put a salad dish in her tank everyday - I even use BSFls in the salad and shes NOT interested. She will only eat crickets and maybe 10 at the most. How WIll I know if shes mal nutrtioned..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So IM wondering about their habits of eating, My Beardie is less than 8 months old. So Far She will only Eat crickets. I Put a salad dish in her tank everyday - I even use BSFls in the salad and shes NOT interested. She will only eat crickets and maybe 10 at the most. How WIll I know if shes mal nutrtioned..
Try getting some silk worms and some dubia roaches ---- those are also staple feeders - only get a small amount of the dubias some dragons have their own taste and she may not like them and then again she may and refuse to eat the crickets afterwards - are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D3 and multivitamins w/ beta carotene- those should be dusted w/ the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - and the vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - the dragon will not starve itself - make sure your surface basking temps and UVB are on par--- NO coils for a UVB - they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health problems --- I can help you if you need help getting a long tube fixture there are 3 that are recommended --
www.reptilianarts.com

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Try getting some silk worms and some dubia roaches ---- those are also staple feeders - only get a small amount of the dubias some dragons have their own taste and she may not like them and then again she may and refuse to eat the crickets afterwards - are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D3 and multivitamins w/ beta carotene- those should be dusted w/ the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - and the vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - the dragon will not starve itself - make sure your surface basking temps and UVB are on par--- NO coils for a UVB - they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health problems --- I can help you if you need help getting a long tube fixture there are 3 that are recommended --
www.reptilianarts.com
I got the Hood Lamp you suggested in my opening thread - The Arcadia Pro T5 and its great, the Extreme Basking Lamp is getting to 99.7 with my Digital Thermometer. Shes just not eating much at all and being very Picky along the way. I have noticed a LOT of window surfing along the glass lately, but nothing has changed so Im a bit confused..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got the Hood Lamp you suggested in my opening thread - The Arcadia Pro T5 and its great, the Extreme Basking Lamp is getting to 99.7 with my Digital Thermometer. Shes just not eating much at all and being very Picky along the way. I have noticed a LOT of window surfing along the glass lately, but nothing has changed so Im a bit confused..
Ok where did you put the UVB? What kind of screen do you have fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? This will determine where you UVB needs to be placed and distanced ----- what size is the tank? Just throwing this out there have you felt for possible eggs? Shes young but she might be gravid --- I want to not think so but you never know? Any digging going on? Like a lot?

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Ok where did you put the UVB? What kind of screen do you have fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? This will determine where you UVB needs to be placed and distanced ----- what size is the tank? Just throwing this out there have you felt for possible eggs? Shes young but she might be gravid --- I want to not think so but you never know? Any digging going on? Like a lot?
OK I didnt realise the UvB does not pierce glass and I had it on top of the tank on the glass on the same side as the basking lamp. I have a 75 gallon tank and it covers from the middle to the far right. The left quarter side doesnt have lighting but the Uvb light covers the entire right side of the tank. Ive since moved the Uvb off the glass and its approximately 12 inches above the basking Spot. I just did it today but Ive noticed she seems to be a little more active climbing on the rocks, logs, etc. Im attempting to get her weened off crickets a little bit as I have 1000 small bsfls atm but shes not eating them still or her daily salads. I got crickets the other day as I felt bad as she wasnt eating. Ill get her some crickets tommorrow if she continues to avoid the bsfls today..

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
heres a couple of pics of my lighting

Attachments

• 20230227_135239.jpg
    20230227_135239.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230227_135225.jpg
    20230227_135225.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK I didnt realise the UvB does not pierce glass and I had it on top of the tank on the glass on the same side as the basking lamp. I have a 75 gallon tank and it covers from the middle to the far right. The left quarter side doesnt have lighting but the Uvb light covers the entire right side of the tank. Ive since moved the Uvb off the glass and its approximately 12 inches above the basking Spot. I just did it today but Ive noticed she seems to be a little more active climbing on the rocks, logs, etc. Im attempting to get her weened off crickets a little bit as I have 1000 small bsfls atm but shes not eating them still or her daily salads. I got crickets the other day as I felt bad as she wasnt eating. Ill get her some crickets tommorrow if she continues to avoid the bsfls today..
You should notice her colors and her appetite increasing as well w/ the UVB in the tank -- If you can switch to dubia roaches --- they are a better feeder -- hopefully she will start eating the BSFL -- if you need websites for the roaches let me know I can post it for you -- have you tried horn worms or super worms

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
You should notice her colors and her appetite increasing as well w/ the UVB in the tank -- If you can switch to dubia roaches --- they are a better feeder -- hopefully she will start eating the BSFL -- if you need websites for the roaches let me know I can post it for you -- have you tried horn worms or super worms
I had bought some Meal Worms from Petsmart - she will eat them occasionally. I might have only a few left. Ill look into the Dubia roaches.

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
I did some mods to the lighting and nothings changed as of yet . She Ate 2 crickets today, Im going to fish out the other 6 crickets, 2 worms, and 4 bsfls I put in her tank tonight ...

Attachments

• 20230228_165807.jpg
    20230228_165807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230228_165821_HDR.jpg
    20230228_165821_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did some mods to the lighting and nothings changed as of yet . She Ate 2 crickets today, Im going to fish out the other 6 crickets, 2 worms, and 4 bsfls I put in her tank tonight ...
Ok watch the behavior

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good News she had an appetite today ate 9 medium crickets when I fed her. Shes still not interested in Bsfls or Salad yet ..
Ok so keep offering -- shes being stubborn --- and she may not like the BSFL - have you tried the silk worms or dubia roaches yet?

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
Found Dubia Roaches at the local Petco and she's eaten 4 of them and 8 more crickets today. Her colors are coming out now - she has a nice red pattern running down her back and on to her tail.

CrazyDave

Hatchling Dragon
I guess it had to be the way the light was on the glass so she wasn't getting enough UVb rays. The last 2 days she's had a voracious appetite. Yesterday she ate all the Dubia Roaches and 8-9 crickets. Today she followed that up with 27 crickets. I still can't get her to touch a salad yet - But I did catch her drinking form her water dish finally.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess it had to be the way the light was on the glass so she wasn't getting enough UVb rays. The last 2 days she's had a voracious appetite. Yesterday she ate all the Dubia Roaches and 8-9 crickets. Today she followed that up with 27 crickets. I still can't get her to touch a salad yet - But I did catch her drinking form her water dish finally.
Ok is the uvb sitting on glass not a screen or it's not inside the tank?

Latest posts