• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating

Sarahloucoss1628

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys wondered if any of you could help me had my dragon on sunday and I don't think he's eaten anything he came with grasshoppers in the viv there's like 16 of them in there ! I have tried to feed him apple but he's not having any of it ,any ideas ??? Many thanks

Chicksy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sarah,

I'm fairly new to keeping beardies myself so I'm not hugely knowledgeable but I've read up a bit on them online. How old is your dragon? Have you just gotten him? I know from being told by the pet shop where mine were purchased and also from reading online that when they're first settling into a new environment they may not eat for a few days until they get used to their new home. Are the grasshoppers the right size for him to eat? If he's only a baby then you'll need small insects. My beardies are two months old and I feed them small or medium crickets and they're perfect for them size wise. I've also given them a small bit of greens and they've eaten them too. Just make sure any veg or fruit you give them is chopped up really small, I know from reading online that the pieces shouldn't be any bigger than the gap between their eyes.

I hope your dragon starts eating soon!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Please don't leave the bugs in the tank with him. Bugs will nibble on a bearded dragon when they are sleeping. Older dragons need more veggies than bugs. Try feeding some healthy greens like dandelion, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, endive, rocket. He could be just settling in to his new home. Make sure his temps are correct and his UVB is fresh. For an adult his basking spot should be 95-100 degrees.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice to see an older dragon getting a home :) under several of our comments you'll see a couple of links in the general info for new comers are good links for food items and how to prep them and how often they should be fed. He just may need a few days to settle in and also depends on what his situation was before you..

Latest posts