• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating Veggies

what do you prefer i put on of under his veggies so he will eat them?

• baby food (squash)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pheonix worms

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My Beardie i would say is about 5 months old....He dosent like to eat any sort of green i put in there...could this be because of his age? or because it dosent move...he loves to chase his food around the cage before he accually eats it...could this be why he dosent eat any sort of veggie? Im kinda new at this and i dont know much about them but i have been reading alot and he seems to be doing just fine!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can also play around with the veggies. A lot of beardies love butternut squash. Put a mound of butternut squash and then a mound of greens, like collard greens. They tend to eat through the greens to get to the loved veggie.

Also, be patient. Most babies don't eat their salad until they are older, but it should still be offered daily. Give the salad before any proteins are offered. First thing in the morning about an hour after lights are on.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok sounds good i put the babyfood on endive so i should put it underneath the salad to make him work for the treat? thats what my friend said that he probably wont eat them untill he is one or so!!
But thanks Alot! for the help this is my first dragon so i am just full of questions~

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my babies were eating salads the first week i got them home, now at 6months plus, they almost clear it daily.
janie.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hmmm he wont eat it no matter what i do and i have not gave him crickets before the salad i put the salad in this morning and he hasent touched it!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just give him time, he'll discover it. Let's just hope he doesn't use it for a poopy pile like Gem did in the beginning.... joy joy joy!
Janie.

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Dingo! said:
hmmm he wont eat it no matter what i do and i have not gave him crickets before the salad i put the salad in this morning and he hasent touched it!
sometimes they're very particular about what greens taste good, so it helps to experiment with different leaves -- to save money, try young dandelion, violet or clover leaves from the yard [as long as you're sure that no spraying's been done] or buy leaves [like bok choy or kale] that you can use yourself in cooking.
it also might work to try hand feeding the leaves at a time when the dragon is already being active.

athena

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Like Tom said you can try to trick him and put a few Phoenix worms under the salad.. Then when he sees it moving he will see just how tasty they really are. Good luck.. ;)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
and to piggy back on what athena said as well. They tend to prefer certain greens over others. my dragons all eat collards so i started adding mustards in with the collards to give a bit of variety and they either wouldnt touch it or they would (and yes i actually watched my male do this) pick the mustards out and eat the collards. What a mess that was.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i tried putting the pheonix worms in there and all he did was move the green and eat the worm! umm i will try other greens and see what happends but yeah i do put it in there every morning about an hour after lights are one
Thanks alot for everyones help i really do appreciate it!!
I will just play around with it!

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK i will have to try that! id say hes around 5 months if not 6 at the most!

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i actually used endive and he ate a whole bowl in a day so that makes me a lot happier! thanks for everyone's help :) i really appreciate it

Latest posts