• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating Schedule

Spike

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was wondering, how often do most Beardies eat and how much? Spike has never really been a big eater, he sometimes goes almost a week or more without eating! The only time he really eats is when I give him the meal-worms or crickets, but he REFUSES to willingly eat greens. I have to trick him into it most of the time... He's always been that way, is it normal?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not really...most are pretty good eaters.
How old is he?
For a beardie who is a juvenile - sub adult (under 1 1/2 years) he should be eating anywhere from 50-100 crix a day.
For an adult (over 1 1/2) he should be weening off of protein. By the time he is 3 only about 25 a week.
You shouldn't be feeding mealworms. They aren't good for beardies. They don't digest them well due to the amount of chitin.
Greens should always be offered daily. Different mixtures and variety is the key. Very important as a baby to start to introduce so that by the time it is time to ween off protein, they are eating a good amount of greens.

Spike

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Spike is about 4 or 5 now. He ate some Collards yesterday and he seemed to like them. And he loves Romaine, but I try to not offer it as much. I only feed him Mealworms as a treat and just to get him to eat something if he hasn't in a while. :-[ He's always been like this, he's not skinny though, so don't worry that I have an emaciated Beardy. I would just like to see him eat more like he's supposed to. :-[

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most likely variety is the issue here... Super worms instead of those mealies, and say roaches instead of the crickets....

Hope this helps !

Latest posts