• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating Ques

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so i have a question:

today Honey hasnt eaten one single cricket i offered her. I've been keepin a journal of how many she eats a day and it's between 7 to 9 crickets a day. what is this a sign of? ???

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Shedding ? ;)
What uvb are you using ? What are the temps you are recording, and how do you record them... How often do you use calcium, and what kind ?
Janie :)

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hey janie i knew you'd come to the rescue lol. she ate 2 before lights out. the temps on her hot side is between 90 and 110 degrees and her cool side is 75-80 degrees. The UVB i'm using is a Zilla brand (on the box it says desert 50 UVB T8 flourescent bulb..15 watts) i'm using repto cal for her calcium and she gets it with every cricket she eats and also some sprinkled on her veggies. i havent seen her shed yet though so i keep that in the back of my head i just get nervous when she doesnt want to eat lol especially from 8:30 through almost the whole day!
(Honey sneak attacks on her veggies when you're not watchin her lol, she'll eat some of it and as SOON as you look at her she stops chomping on them like "what.. do i have something on my face??? i'm not eating veggies..." :D

i think it has to do something with the crickets, maybe? they're smalls and 2 -3 days later these things are huge! i had one in there to see if she'd eat it and the cricket lunged at her instead of her lunging at IT and she backed off and ran. i felt so bad lol.

so what's the annalysis Dr. Janie?? is my lil pooper going to be okay? :D lol

thanks dragonMom she is the cuttest lil thing i ever had :]

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmmm * puts on best bed side Dr. face..*
Yesssssss I do believe she will be fine... You do know that dragons are Masters of making us worry our hair roots out, hm ? ;)
Also try changing up her staples... I tend to offer at least 3 different kinds, though to date not one crix has passed my threshold ;).

Oh, and yeah, my boys also like to play coy with the veggies.. Annabelle couldn't care less who watches her... I think she likes the attention... I'll blame a certain Wolfman for that ;) lol
Janie.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haha thanks janie, what other critters should i offer her besides the crickets?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can offer phoenix worms, small hornworms, butter worms, silkworms, roaches and the occasional waxworm as well

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whoa... I missed some things too, Ashley...
One: You want the ReptiSun 10.0... better uvb strong enough for dragons.
Two: don't calcium Every feeder.. only the first 5 or so in the first meal of the day... Other wise you can indeed overdose the darlin....

Try getting those two items adjusted... The light alone can actually put a dragon off her feed.
If in the USA, get the Reptisun:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...bs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html
UK, the Arcadia 12%:
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/arcadia-d3-reptile-tube-12-353-p.asp

These two are the best tube flos out there in the World of Tube UVBs ;)
If you order today, turn off and remove the other.. Now you can use that with say, chams, but not dragons.

Janie..
So sorry I missed all that ! Forgive ?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just want to clarify that food should not be offered 1 hour before lights on and about 1 hour before bed time.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oiy, so much info!

it's okay janie i forgive :] gotta tell my lady that we need to get that bulb and swap out the other one... anddd first 5 feeders calciumed, gotcha!

and thanks beardielover for the extra info on the critters!

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks i'm needin all the luck! i cant get over that 1 flourecent bulb is over 40$!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if you purchase them online they are usually about half the price you would pay in a store (even after shipping) idk if you're in the states or not but www.petmountain.com usually has them fairly cheap

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok so if im reading this right...

a 18" is 5.0 uvb..
a 24" is a 10.0 uvb and so on..

do they sell 18" uvb lights?? or do i have to upgrade my hood...?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No worries. Were you able to get the ReptiSun 10.0?

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
not yet, we adjusted her basking spot closer to the light so she is growing and shedding ( :D ). We just picked up a 40 gallon reptile tank with a stand and a couple other things to go along with it off of craigslist for 75$, but we are deffinatley goin to get it next week.

I also just got a job interview so hopefully i'll land it and help pitch in for honey's new home! cant leave my lady doin it all herself lol.

Latest posts