• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating more veg

katiepartridge .

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

I have a 4-5 month old beardie who has a healthy appetite but has always been rubbish with veg. I understand he needs 80% bugs and 20% veg but its more like 95% bugs and 5% veg at the moment.

I am feeding the veg to the dubias/locusts/crickets which could mean this is OK as he should be getting some of nutrients from them (also some note do you dust the veg the bugs eat in calcium powder too?)

I am concerned as he tends to eat even less actual veg these days unless I give it a day or so without any food at all.

Veg offered ranges from spring greens, dandelions, squash, watercress, kale, peas/apples/blueberries occasionally.. plenty of other veg tried that he won't eat like peppers, carrots, parsley/herbs... (I have tried multiple times and even mixed them in with calcium worms)

Do you have any tips on how to get them to eat more veg? And if not, is feeding well fed bugs just as good?

Thanks.

Lot

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have the exact same problem. Mine is around four months as well. I looked into it recently and have heard that you can try feeding them the first bite and see if they eat the rest on their own. And trying to make it move by stirring/poking with your finger or putting bugs in it sometimes works. I have also heard that feeding them the salad first before the bugs when they are hungry should make them want to eat. Also we (my family) dust the bugs with the calcium and not the greens.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
The best and easiest thing to do is two hours after you turn on the light in the morning is feed him salad my boy like collard greens, turnip greens, bell peppers, cilantro, corn, parsley (treat) and peas. In the afternoon I give him his bugs and sometime 2 hours before bed I give him a mix of veggies and bugs.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hello!! you can try putting bugs on his salad! my beardie only first tried his when i wrapped some collard greens around a cricket. after that he realized they weren’t bad! you can start refusing him bugs until he eats his salad a bit. it’s also good to try different things so he might find something he likes. i put a blueberry on top of ollies salad if he isn’t eating it to gain his interest. good luck!