• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating and the other end

Cliff

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone.

We just got our beardie last sunday (2 1/2 days)

I know he's orobably stressed from being in a new home and that will affect his apetite.

He won't touch his fruit/veggies but went crazy on crickets yesterday.

Does this sound normal?

Also, he hasn't pooped since we bought him.

I'm guessing this is from lack of eating?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is he a baby? Little ones need more protein at this stage. You should be feeding him live food at least 2 times a day (3 is better) as much as he wants to eat in about 15 minutes. He will eat A LOT! Offer salad every day but he may not take to it right away. Usually if it's not moving they won't eat it but if you're lucky he will eat it on his own. Don't worry about the poop, it will come.

Cliff

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's a year and a half old. Fully grown now. The owner of the.pet shop here has a couple beardies and he said he's never seen such a big one. He figures he's part of some giant german breed.

Anyway, his previous owner was feeding him parsley on the daily and crickets once a week.

I've also learned real fast NOT to loiter around the crickets/horn worm cages while Spike is on my shoulder. Lol

We're also struggling to keep the tank at an acceptable temlerature, so i guess maybe that could be afecting him too.

Cliff

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just as a reference, this is Spike in a 60gallon tank

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421191746780.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421191746780.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He looks big and solid like my girl Dexter! She's 2 and she's just over a pound and about 18" long. He sounds a little bit like her. She won't eat fruits and veggies either. I've had her since she was a baby and she used to love them but somewhere along the way that love stopped. I think it was after she bit me while I was feeding her a strawberry, it's like she's afraid of them now. She also doesn't eat a lot of bugs. As she's gotten older she's kinda tapered off. Yesterday she ate 7 super worms and today she didn't want any but I still offer her bugs every day and give her a salad and let her eat when she wants to.

You're guy could be just settling into his new home and having a bit of "moving sickness". Warm baths sometimes help with bathroom issues. While he's in the bath drip some water on the tip of his nose and he may lick it off or start drinking right from the tub.

It's a struggle to get the temps and lighting just right but you eventually get there. After having perfect temps for months now, we are having problems keeping Dexter's tank warm at night. One night we even took her out of her tank and wrapped her in a warm blanket and let her sleep in the front room! I got an extra dome fixture today so I can set up a CHE for her tonight.

That's funny about the crickets/hornworms! I also have a boy bearded dragon, he is 1 and we let him run around on the floor and he always finds the super worm tank and tries to get the worms out!

Latest posts