• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia roach's: feeders vs breaders

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have my dubia set up with heat pad and all the usual stuff for my breeders. My feeders have everything that the breeders have except the heat pad. Does anyone think I should have a heater pad for the feeders? The room that they are in usually runs about 80 degrees and at night in the high 60's. It is where I have my Beardies, so the heat lights really keep the room warm.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The need for the heat pad is specifically to allow for the appropriate temps for them to breed. So the ones you have set aside as feeders do not need a heat pad, the room is more than warm enough to keep them alive. Still have a source of humidity in the tank (little lid filled with water gel works good for this) so that they can still molt properly.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah I use the water crystals plus oranges, collard greens, and cat food. Thanks for the info cause I really did not want to go and buy another pad... lol

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine are all lined up on top of my Huge enclosures... got 4.. working on numbers 5 and 6 currently.... spread the wealth ? lol
Janie

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have thought about doing a separate species. Wow Janie 6 tubs - thats lots of feeders... :D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just planning ahead... I feel more geckos are in my future... sooo... I'd need more feeders... And... I'm starting two new colonies one for someone else... Always a good idea to be prepared, for whatever might happen.
Janie

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Aren't you sweet. What types are you raising. The reason I have stayed with dubia's is if they get out they pretty much die.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubias all.. I have 4 hissers females... I keep those as pets... they don't even hiss anymore when I pick them up or pet them...
Janie

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just a question, how many roaches do you need to start a colony big enough to feed a beardie on a regular basis?

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think most people started out with a lot more than I have. Mine is still a work in progress. I have a couple of hundred adults. I am just leaving them alone. I have peeked and see about 50 babies already and I just started this a week ago. I actually started back in September but was doing it all wrong. They were not breeding fast enough to feed my BD's I got some help and I am now on the right track. I purchase 500 from AaronPauling.com and that is what they are eating from. Short on cash this month but plan on buying about 1000 more feeders and 50 more adults to really get this going.

Latest posts