• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia roach colony… again

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you!! I was looking into Sterelite… not sure it is spelled like that. I’ll try RubberMaid.
I’m using Rubbermaid with heat tape & put a yogurt lid under the bin on that end just so there is like an 1/8” gap for airflow. I had so much trouble getting the bin warm enough. Kept having to order the next size up heat tape to reach the desired temp. Don’t go too low on the wattage (I would google what size heating pad for roach bin so you know what watt others use) & use a thermostat so it shuts off & on. Some heating pads shut off after so many minutes so watch out for those types also. If you have a spare room or basement, I had read where people use those places with just a room heater to warm the bin so you wouldn’t need the heating pad.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you!! I was looking into Sterelite… not sure it is spelled like that. I’ll try RubberMaid.
For $30 including shipping, you can order the heat tape, connectors & have them put it together at Reptile LLC
for $20 including shipping or less depending on what size you need, you can get the heat tape, the connectors & have them put it together. It’s cheaper than a heating pad plus you don’t have to worry about it burning a hole in the bin. I went with the 12” & 4’ for other bins to be on it. I started with the 4” but had trouble getting the temps I need but my bins are on a concrete floor so I think that’s why I had so much trouble. If you want to check out that option try Reptile LLC

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I’m using Rubbermaid with heat tape & put a yogurt lid under the bin on that end just so there is like an 1/8” gap for airflow. I had so much trouble getting the bin warm enough. Kept having to order the next size up heat tape to reach the desired temp. Don’t go too low on the wattage (I would google what size heating pad for roach bin so you know what watt others use) & use a thermostat so it shuts off & on. Some heating pads shut off after so many minutes so watch out for those types also. If you have a spare room or basement, I had read where people use those places with just a room heater to warm the bin so you wouldn’t need the heating pad.
Ok thank you! I do have a basement so I’ll keep them in there. I bought a heat pad with a thermostat but I’m hoping my house doesn’t burn down! I used a reptile heating pad so I’m hoping it will be a good amount of heat

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I’ve seen a lot of pictures and videos of people using heat tape and mats on plastic without any problems. But it cancels any warranty on the product for misuse and isn’t 100% safe. I live where I work and don’t want to accidentally burn down the house.
Same here! Are you using a heat pad on plastic, as well?

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Ok thank you! I do have a basement so I’ll keep them in there. I bought a heat pad with a thermostat but I’m hoping my house doesn’t burn down! I used a reptile heating pad so I’m hoping it will be a good amount of heat
Let us know how it all works out! Maybe start out with a lower heat setting & keep checking, once the temp is tolerated, inch up in increments until you get to the desired temps. This way, you will know if your bin can tolerate the temps without melting. I’m sure you will be fine though, everyone else uses the heat pads & theirs didn’t melt.

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
When I have used heat tape for enclosures in the past I mount the tape on ceramic tile, and use something like this on each corner. https://www.amazon.com/Cone-Shaped-...1625866728&sprefix=bumper+spa,aps,169&sr=8-16.
This allows the enclosure to be raised slightly above, and out of direct contact with the tape itself. Ceramic tile mount allows for portability and virtually no chance of fire as the tape is not touching anything. This also leaves room for a temp probe, so you always know the temp of the heat tape.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
18D38D53-56AE-48CD-A750-AD595A176F45.jpeg

So I just added more egg crates to my bin yesterday, and this morning I caught two discoids mating, and I thought id show you guys/gals , im thinking the one in the back is female (she was just dragging along the smaller one lol). I highly recommend putting more egg crates than u think u need , I originally only had 2 but i added 2 more, so they obviously needed more space to feel comfortable enough to breed. Just an observation :)