• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia question

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Ok... I think I've got my setup down.

Got the rubber crate. With a hole in the top, equipped with a duct-taped wire screen. Duct tape along the top sides to prevent critter escape. Got three plastic Tupperware tubs with makeshift holes cut out on a few sides for feeding. Small air holes in the tops of each for circulation. One tub for dry solid foods like dog food, Cheerios, oats, etc. One for fruits and veggies (water-based snacks). Last one is for water crystals just in case, to keep them hydrated. I even have a water bottle with holes punched in the cap for humidity.

My only question relates to heat. I keep my house at a minimum of 74 degrees. With a heat pad, it seems the highest I can get the floor is around 82-84 degrees. Would it be bad if I forgo the pad and let the tub stay in the warmest room in my house, which is usually around 80 degrees? Would it significantly impact the colony's breeding speed? I only ask because it seems like the heating pad's effect is pretty negligible. Definitely can't get it up to the 95 degree point, which seems to be the optimal consensus for fast breeding. Please, let me know! :cool:

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
On a side note, I'm getting 75 small nymphs, 20 females, and 10 males. I plan on feeding out the nymphs over time and mixing it up with crickets on occasion, from my local pet guy. They will be here on Thursday. :D

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I never tried the heating pad but I can tell you how I have mine set up and i'm getting probably 50 nymphs a week. I have a shelf in my son's closet I put the totes on that shelf. At Walmart they have red bulbs in the home section that say they are heat bulbs. I put one of those in the socket and put a towel in front of the bottom of the door to keep the heat in there. Mine usually stay around 89 degrees. I started with 100 extra large dubia so they were one molt away from being adult. As soon as they started molting the babies just started coming. I paid like $25 for mine on Ebay.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I started out with a large colony..1000 mixed + 60 adult females + 20 adult males. I have my breeding tub set up in the cabinet under Mungi"s enclosure which doesn't have doors on it. The tub is sitting with a single brick under the ends and I have a standard heating pad under the tub set on low and it keeps the tub a constant 89-90F with our house ambient temp set at 74F. That's measured with a digital thermometer probe type and the probe is at the bottom of the tub so I'm sure it's accurate.
My colony started molting and breeding like crazy almost immediately and there are so many babies already that I can't even begin to count them..lol..had I known that I would have probably started with a smaller colony but oh well I have plenty of reptile friends locally so am sure I can keep things under control...that's the plan anyway:)
I also see now why the guy I got them from was happy to make me such a great price on stock to get started with...his colony had exploded as well...lol!:eek:

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
With just one dragon I'll probably give my number out at the pet store and try to sell some of them off. I don't know anyone else with any kind of reptiles to feed them too. I have to put some tape at the top of the tub or something because they are crawling to the top but I didn't think they were getting out until my oldest son found one on his pants at school today :eek:

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
With just one dragon I'll probably give my number out at the pet store and try to sell some of them off. I don't know anyone else with any kind of reptiles to feed them too. I have to put some tape at the top of the tub or something because they are crawling to the top but I didn't think they were getting out until my oldest son found one on his pants at school today :eek:

There are other creatures that will eat dubias other than just reptiles...Tarantulas for example. If yours get to much to handle you can also offer them for sale on your local Craigslist too. Our favorite little petshop near the house has already told me that if I have any extras anytime just to let them know cause they have a large list of folks that would want them.
Also if you run a line of 3 inch clear packing tape around the inside of the tub the roaches cant cross it cause it's slick. Maybe even run two lines of it side by side so you have a nice wide barrier. I've been lucky cause I got the tubs that are slick sided but I still ran the tape around the inside as well just to safe and so far so good:)

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there, temps vary from different brands, types of heat mats/pads. Generally "reptile" brand uth's typically shoot for mid 80* output but they do vary. I just checked a exoterra medium heat pad that we have under the scorps and it reads 84.3* right off the pad using a Ir therm. You can provide higher temps with heat tape and a thermostat Or use what kind mungi is using.

What type of pad are you using mungi?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm just using a $16 heat pad from CVS Pharmacy. This particular model does not have the automatic shut off that most "human" heat pads have today. Had to go to 2 different CVSs to find them though. I had seen folks talking about using these with great results when I was first doing research about setting up a colony. I was going to use a reptile UTH but was a little worried about it over-heating the plastic when attached to the roach tub. Couldn't find a straight yes or no on that question so went the heating pad route until I can find out more. This heating pad set up like I said under the tub with the tub raised up on a brick at each end has been working great so far and very consistent on temp and set on low too but if the UTHs wont melt the plastic I will probably at some point change to one of those and use with a thermostat to really dial the temps in and have the thermostat shut it off if not needed.

@gilliesexotics...If I am reading right in your post then you are using UTHs...are they on rubbermaid or sterlite tubs? Any issues having them attatched directly to the tub...ie softening the plastic? Of course I wouldn't think that 80-90F would be a problem anyway as far as the mat being stuck on the tub especially if used with a thermostat.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
@gilliesexotics...If I am reading right in your post then you are using UTHs...are they on rubbermaid or sterlite tubs? Any issues having them attatched directly to the tub...ie softening the plastic? Of course I wouldn't think that 80-90F would be a problem anyway as far as the mat being stuck on the tub especially if used with a thermostat.

Hi mungi, we do use them on both rubbermaid and sterilite brand totes. Not that i recommend it but we use to use them flat on the floor and we had no issues to speak of. As of now they are on racks similar to this. http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6060-322-Supreme-4-Tier-Shelving/dp/B0007MHD1K

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Gilliesexotics..Thanks! I will go ahead and look into ordering a UTH mat then and another thermostat. The cabinet that the bins are in has slate in the bottom of it so shouldn't have to worry about it getting damaged or discolored like a wood or other floor might. Actually was a juvenile iguana habitat years ago when we first began with reptiles.
Nice racks btw...I used to have 4 that looked exactly like those in my garage...bought them for 15 bucks a piece from a restaurant that was going out of business..lol...wish I still had them too smh...am running out of room for tanks and such for the critters:confused: but we do have two nice recliners and a comfy couch so if need be we can always toss the beds and turn the bedrooms into reptile/amphib/aquarium/??? rooms so at least we're not to the point yet of having to build an addition on...yet:D

Thanks for the info!!
Enjoy your Friday!

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Mungi I put the tape in there and hope no more escape. I asked my son if he brought it home those aren't common house roaches their my pet's and I need that one back lol. Needless to say he flicked it off his pants and went on about his day :confused:

Latest posts