• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia Diet

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Is there a good website out there that outlines any no-nos for feeding dubia? I spoke with someone that has been raising roaches for quite awhile and he said you shouldn't feed them anything high in antioxidants because it will kill them. I don't know how true that is... Especially with him telling me to feed them oranges in almost the same sentence.

So yeah, anyone know of a good website that has factual, and not just anecdotal, information?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I dont believe what you have been told is true. If it were mine would have been dead long ago. If you follow any decent care sheet, you will have luck with these insects. The will eat just about anything. It is said they build up high levels or uric acid when being fed animal protein regularly. I wouldnt keep it completely out but use with caution ;)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yah I ask because I typically give them scraps from our meals. Of course we have potatoes, carrots, apples, and oranges, but I also have more exotic stuff like prickly pear that I can get down here dirt cheap. I give it to my dragon, but I've read posts where people notice their roaches don't do so well with higher calcium diets. Your thoughts?

If not, I guess I'll keep trolling different boards until I find something.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont believe that also. Foods high in calcium wont be a problem. They are honestly really easy to care for. Give them heat and feed them regularly and they will go crazy for you. Honestly i dont know of any food harmful to roaches except anything with pesticides. Im sure you know this already but make sure you do wash any store bought fruit or veggies before feeding them to your insects.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the link Germ, but that was the first care sheet I memorized (not even joking, I totally memorized it :D). Awesome advice in there. I was looking more for a list of veggies that you should or shouldn't use, kinda like the BD nutrition guide. :cool:

Right now my rule of thumb is to give them what I would give my dragon, but the last thing I want to do is give them something that is good for him, but toxic to them (and thus ruining my colony). Sure, I could play it safe and go just the route of what is listed in the care sheet, but to be completely honest I do get enjoyment out of giving them a varied diet too.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right now my rule of thumb is to give them what I would give my dragon
That is a very good reasoning, but a high protein diet that contains calcium is also desired to benefit your BD. The greens are more to provide moisture, the same as for your BD.

As Gillies has previously mentioned, there is very little that will kill off a roach colony in the way of food, mold is deadly to them.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Awesome. Thanks again Germ, sound advice as always. Maybe I'm not finding a guide online because there really isn't anything that can kill them. I'll just used my head when trying new things and remove it if I see a change in their behavior.

Latest posts