• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia and Diet?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I'm already putting together my dubia colony master plan (and you all know how I LOVE to plan :D), but I have a question. In my research I constantly see the "your roaches are what they eat" credo, meaning what you put into them goes into your dragon, but how true is that, ratio-wise?

I ask because I have seen a number of videos of people feeding their roaches what I would consider no-nos, such as bananas, pet food, Cheerios, and potatoes. I would rarely, if ever, feed my dragon any of these food items. So am I overthinking this, or is there some logic behind my train of thought? Should I just stick to what is on the nutrition menu, or should I just shut down my type-A for this one little thing?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a difference between what I feed my roach colony & what I feed my feeders. My colony is fed dog food along with table veggie & greens scraps for moisture. My feeders are kept in a separate smaller container & are fed a 'proper gutload' & well hydrated, for a minimum of 24 hrs prior to feeding to the dragons. This ensures that they are full of the nutritious Gutload when fed, so the dragons can benefit from it.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey Germ,
What does a "proper gutload" consist of? I recently switched to roaches and Kratos is getting huge off of them and I usually just throw in whatever veggie scraps I have but I'm assuming I need more protein. Any suggestions?

Latest posts