• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubai Colony

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah we need all of the info we can get. This will be our first colony of any kind. So far we have the rubber maid bin. Can we just stab air holes in the lid for oxygen and ventilation? Also we were planning to just use a heating pad under the bin to heat the colony. I'm wondering if this will be okay or if you guys recommend another method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah we need all of the info we can get. This will be our first colony of any kind. So far we have the rubber maid bin. Can we just stab air holes in the lid for oxygen and ventilation? Also we were planning to just use a heating pad under the bin to heat the colony. I'm wondering if this will be okay or if you guys recommend another method?

they do like some airflow and that will cut down on excessive moisture that could cause molding and death of your colony.. ...
My lid is cutout with mesh taped on..

Attachments

• 20160310_125934.jpg
    20160310_125934.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay awesome, thanks for sharing the pic. That's what we will use as our go by

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay guys so we finally received our heat Mat. Before ordering the breeders this Friday we are trying to get the temps correct.

Right now the entire side of the bin (where the egg crates will be) is a range from 90-95. However one small spot is reading up to 110. Will this be okay or is this small area enough to cause serious issues? The area is about the size of an average human hand.
The middle of the bin is in the 80s and the far end is in the upper 70s.

Should I leave it the way it is or should we bring these temps down?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay guys so we finally received our heat Mat. Before ordering the breeders this Friday we are trying to get the temps correct.

Right now the entire side of the bin (where the egg crates will be) is a range from 90-95. However one small spot is reading up to 110. Will this be okay or is this small area enough to cause serious issues? The area is about the size of an average human hand.
The middle of the bin is in the 80s and the far end is in the upper 70s.

Should I leave it the way it is or should we bring these temps down?

nope that will be fine..at warmer temps your colony will really get going once your colony is established you can lower them to slow them down if your getting over loaded.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Okay so we have our colony set up just waiting on some babies. I was just wondering if we could use flukers cricket quencher for another source of water besides the veggies??

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I buy water crystals with no dyes or additives. Once you add water to them and let them sit, they're just like cricket quencher, only cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Well I found cricket quencher by fulkers for only $2.99 so I grabbed it. So you think it will be okay?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, it'll be fine. I had a bottle of it for my crickets and used it for the roaches before I found the water crystals. You're lucky you found it so cheap! I ordered 2oz of water crystals for $2 and I think that makes a full gallon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use the water crystals at lowes and home depot miracle grow crystals all safe no additives and make a ton of water.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks you guys, we will keep all of this in mind for future reference.