• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dry vs greens

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Scarlet's newest quirk is not eating her greens. I have been feeding her mustard greens and she LOVED them until yesterday morning. I add butternut squash, which she has yet to try as well, and other veggies. But it was a given she would eat the mustard greens. Now she will not touch them but gobbles up her pellet food instead??? She is still eating "bugs" too so it's not like she has lost her appetite just doesn't want the greens she gets. Is this ok? Is she just sick of the same thing all the time? Are they really that picky? Is she ok as long as she is eating the bugs and pellets still offering greens of course, or should I try a dif kind of green food?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just keep trying her. Like us they can get fed up with the same thing. All 6 of mine have days where they cant get enough of their freens then there are times when they just wont touch it. She will go back to it :)

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If your feeding her live feeders and offering her greens then you don't have to use the pellets. I would skip those completely. I've never fed a pellet to any of my beardies.

Just keep offering the greens and she should give in. If you want to offer her a variety diet try to offer some collards, my beardies love those. Also try some yellow squash and maybe some blueberries ;)

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
She has always gobbled up her greens. I have no idea what has been going on these past two days? I did get some collard greens today. As for the pellets, it's something she has always been offered and with all of the changes she has gone through in the past 2 weeks i didn't want to take that away from her too. And like I said she hadn't been touching them until yesterday when she snubbed the green and went for the pellets. She ate her bug salad tonight, so she is eating. I give a veriety of live crawling things every other day.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ok, try putting a few creepy crawlies in the greens/salad mix. The movement might just get your beardie interested. Also, my Yoda starts eating greens and a couple of days later, bugs and you can bet your bottom dollar that within the next few days, he will shed. Just keep offering different mixtures. I have very small pallets here but l don't use them unless i am away for the night, l just wet it a little and Yoda seems to like it BUT fresh is best. I would never remove greens and only offer pellets. I would agree with the post above about removing the pellets.
What greens are you offereing? i would go out and pick some nice dandelion greens and flowers, throw in some nusturtium leaves and flowers, mayby a little rosemary or mint and perhaps a rose petal or two and see what happens (l finely dice up all greens/veg/flowers/fruit i offer. Takes a little longer but yoda enjoys it and all the different leaves and thing mix up better.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We are back on track. I don't know what was wrong with her for a few days. I don't think I will remove the pellet food because she really does like it. And as long as she is eating both I am happy. Yesterday I was gone for a part of the day and couldn't check on her to refill greens, etc. When I got back and looked in she had eaten ALL of her greens and pellets and even devoured her butternut squash. That was a first. Hope now that she tasted it she will remember and continue to eat the squash. So you pick dandelions right from your backyard? Aren't you worried about environmental polutants not to mention any pests? Also, I have no idea what nusturtium is, guess I'll Google it =) I also take the time to chop and dice all of the larger vegies, like the squash, etc. As far as the greens i just rip them into small pieces. Also, do adult BD shed too. I mean once they are full grown, if so how often?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
not sure about the shedding, my yoda is only about 9 months old and he's my first beardie. Yep l pick the dandelions from my garden, l grew it from seeds and it's potted. I don't use sprays or anything. As for pests, i thoroughly wash anything l get from my garden. I have planted all beardie friendly plants from seeds and an consifent they don't have any problems. I am more concerned about the endive, carrots and squash l buy from the supermarket because l know all farmers here use sprays of some description. Can't wait til the whole garden is growing and producing.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow, Jane, that is awesome! We have wild dandelion that is EVERYWHERE!!! I do not use sprays either, but I have no idea what my neighbors do. I might just have to do what you did and plant some in a pot.

Latest posts