• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dry brown spots

eric_k

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie developed a dark brown dry spot on her lip about a month ago. Now she has another on the bottom of one of her legs. Initially she was shedding when the one showed up on her lip so thought it had something to do with that. Anyone have any insight?
20230810_190254.jpg
20230810_190156.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie developed a dark brown dry spot on her lip about a month ago. Now she has another on the bottom of one of her legs. Initially she was shedding when the one showed up on her lip so thought it had something to do with that. Anyone have any insight?View attachment 34409View attachment 34408
Please post a pic of the tank - what are you using for substrate? Your uvb is a coil or long tube fixture-- please get some raw unfiltered honey- use it on both wounds and please do not feed crickets in the tank - they will go straight for the sores

eric_k

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a pic of the tank - what are you using for substrate? Your uvb is a coil or long tube fixture-- please get some raw unfiltered honey- use it on both wounds and please do not feed crickets in the tank - they will go straight for the sores
We just have a mat from a pet store. UV is a coil. We have been setting her in our sun room quite a bit this summer. She bolts straight out there when we let her run around the house. She runs right back out when bringing her in. She does do a lot of reflection surfing. I will get the honey you mentioned.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We just have a mat from a pet store. UV is a coil. We have been setting her in our sun room quite a bit this summer. She bolts straight out there when we let her run around the house. She runs right back out when bringing her in. She does do a lot of reflection surfing. I will get the honey you mentioned.
Please get rid of the coil--- its great she is able to get sun in the sun room but that coil needs to be replaced asap- please get one of the following they are the best on the market - a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12 % bulb 24 watt found at Pet Smart or a 2 ft -24" Sunblaster Nano Tech from Hydrobuilder website you will need to change out the bulb to the 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb --- distance and placement will be determined by the screen on the tank --- but we need to find out what is causing the wounds on the dragon - please get rid of the reflection on the glass w/ either using newspaper magazine pages etc on the outside of the tank -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had someone take a look as well and this is what she said
Aw, a sun room is always fun for a beardie. :) Can she get uvb from screened windows ? Some people don't realize that uvb doesn't go through glass, there needs to a be screen where the sun comes in. Do you have any other heat in her tank besides the heat mat ? If not, it's imperative that you get a heat bulb and also a good uvb bulb that Karrie recommended. So in lieu of a heat bulb you have a heat mat ? Is the mat inside of her tank ? If so it might have burned her foot [ just one possibility ] Can you post pics ?
Also, she might have gotten the sores from rubbing on the slide of the patio glass doors.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Those are odd spots, indeed. Do you see her rubbing her chin on her enclosure at all? That is what the
spot on her chin looks like. The spot on her hand, looks similar to fungus or she possibly could have rubbed
it raw also. I had a male dragon at one point, who would rub his wrist area raw trying to get out of an open
screened/air type of tank, go figure!
As Sadie suggested, the spot on her hand/wrist also looks like it could be a burn, too.

How is she doing today?

Tracie

eric_k

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Those are odd spots, indeed. Do you see her rubbing her chin on her enclosure at all? That is what the
spot on her chin looks like. The spot on her hand, looks similar to fungus or she possibly could have rubbed
it raw also. I had a male dragon at one point, who would rub his wrist area raw trying to get out of an open
screened/air type of tank, go figure!
As Sadie suggested, the spot on her hand/wrist also looks like it could be a burn, too.

How is she doing today?

Tracie
I have been using the raw honey on the sores. The one one her chin has stabbed and is starting to come off. The one on her hand has not changed much yet. May be similar with your beardie on the wrist. Appetite and activity are good. These also showed up after laying eggs so maybe trying to dig caused the one on her hand.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have been using the raw honey on the sores. The one one her chin has stabbed and is starting to come off. The one on her hand has not changed much yet. May be similar with your beardie on the wrist. Appetite and activity are good. These also showed up after laying eggs so maybe trying to dig caused the one on her hand.
Please use the honey it will promote healing

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Let us know how the wounds are healing up. They have to hurt a little bit for her, but, the raw honey
will help quite a bit, but remember, reptiles do heal slowly.

Tracie

eric_k

Bearded Dragon Egg
Both sores healed up nicely. Definitely slow process as mentioned. Thanks for the advice on honey.

Latest posts