• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Droopy eyes

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So my 4 year old has been having droopy eyes for about 3 days now, any advice? His temperature and set up is correct. I gave him an electrolyte bath today and some vitamins. It doesn't look that bad but since he's mine I've just been noticing it. I called a vet and she said see if it gets worse and it isn't his kidneys because he doesn't show any other signs.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417805720720.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417805720720.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417805742219.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417805742219.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 31

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It can be a few things, but is usually associated with dehydration. As its getting into winter, a lot of people are turning on their forced air heating. Its surprising just how dehydrating it is with these types of heating systems. I know in my old house the relative humidity literally dropped down to about 8% in the winter because of it (thats lower than the Sahara at times! ) Often newer models of these have humidifiers attached to them that do help. You can also get a small humidifier to put in the room that your animals are in. Youre looking for about 30-50% rH for your dragon to keep them from dehydrating too quickly. Also, try to feed higher water content feeders and veggies for the next while, as that is where they get their moisture from. The baths really only make a difference if they actually drink the water when they are in there.

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Great info!! Thank you! How do I give them water other than greens? I've heard of using a dropper to put it in their mouth but I'm not sure how to do this

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sometimes the easiest way is actually in the bath. Though they dont absorb water through their skin or vents, they can often be encouraged to drink by putting them in the bath and either dripping some water on their nose or lightly spraying a fine mist on their faces. I usually use a spray bottle. Just put some lukewarm water in it, and set the spray to the finest mist setting. Spray them from a foot or so away so that the mist doesnt blast them but rather starts to form droplets after a few sprays. This will run down their face into their mouth and often get them licking their lips and face. Since they are in the water already, they often will just lean down at that point and take in some water too. Plus the bath usually gives them some good exercise as they swim around.