• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon wont eat veggies and fruits. Out of ideas.

BeardieMomma

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all,

I'm not exactly sure how old my beardie is but I'm thinking about 10 months. I keep trying to integrate veggies and fruit into her diet because I know that soon, her diet has to consist of 80% vegs/fruits. She LOVES blue berries, but that's about it. Occasionally she's taken a bite of kale, asparagus, green peppers. Watermelon. Grapes. But it seems the older she gets, the more unwilling she is to eat anything other than live stuff. She loves her meal worms, wax worms (as treats), crickets, and horn worms. And blue berries. But she will go easily go 3 days without eating if I only leave out veggies. She will poop way less if she's not eating, but she still has high energy levels and doesn't seem sick. I feel bad starving her though so I eventually give her live stuff. I've tried mixing in the worms etc with the veggies, doesn't work. I've tried rubbing blueberry juice on the vegetables. Doesn't work.

What should I do? The only adjustment I have coming is installing her UVB tube light in the tank and getting rid of this crappy coil light. I know that'll help her overall health. I just don't know how to get her to eat her damn veggies.

Attachments

• 20230304_120618.jpg
    20230304_120618.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all,

I'm not exactly sure how old my beardie is but I'm thinking about 10 months. I keep trying to integrate veggies and fruit into her diet because I know that soon, her diet has to consist of 80% vegs/fruits. She LOVES blue berries, but that's about it. Occasionally she's taken a bite of kale, asparagus, green peppers. Watermelon. Grapes. But it seems the older she gets, the more unwilling she is to eat anything other than live stuff. She loves her meal worms, wax worms (as treats), crickets, and horn worms. And blue berries. But she will go easily go 3 days without eating if I only leave out veggies. She will poop way less if she's not eating, but she still has high energy levels and doesn't seem sick. I feel bad starving her though so I eventually give her live stuff. I've tried mixing in the worms etc with the veggies, doesn't work. I've tried rubbing blueberry juice on the vegetables. Doesn't work.

What should I do? The only adjustment I have coming is installing her UVB tube light in the tank and getting rid of this crappy coil light. I know that'll help her overall health. I just don't know how to get her to eat her damn veggies.
I am surprised shes eating at all w/ a coil UVB-- she cannot absorb or synthesize the calcium shes getting w/ a coil UVB-- in fact shes getting sicker you just dont know it cuz she wont show signs of it till shes either really sick or about dead ---- please get one of these immediately-- for a 40 + gallon tank
24 " Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a 10.0 bulb I will post links for these UVB's
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
this one can be found at Pet Smart -- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
or this one you want a 2 ft or 24" you will need to replace the bulb w/ the one I posted above
Sunblaster Nano Tech
please get one of these and your dragon should start eating better and the colors will pop
when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you get it placed and distanced for your tank - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes

BeardieMomma

Hatchling Dragon
I am surprised shes eating at all w/ a coil UVB-- she cannot absorb or synthesize the calcium shes getting w/ a coil UVB-- in fact shes getting sicker you just dont know it cuz she wont show signs of it till shes either really sick or about dead ---- please get one of these immediately-- for a 40 + gallon tank
24 " Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a 10.0 bulb I will post links for these UVB's
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
this one can be found at Pet Smart -- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
or this one you want a 2 ft or 24" you will need to replace the bulb w/ the one I posted above
Sunblaster Nano Tech
please get one of these and your dragon should start eating better and the colors will pop
when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you get it placed and distanced for your tank - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes
I have one arriving Monday, and I know where to place it from previous comments you've made on my posts, thank you. I had ordered one months ago but unfortunately it broke, never replaced, and have had the coil. But that will be remedied on Monday.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one arriving Monday, and I know where to place it from previous comments you've made on my posts, thank you. I had ordered one months ago but unfortunately it broke, never replaced, and have had the coil. But that will be remedied on Monday.
Ok good let me know how her behavior goes after getting it installed for a day or two - you should see a difference

BeardieMomma

Hatchling Dragon
Ok good let me know how her behavior goes after getting it installed for a day or two - you should see a difference
Installed a few hours ago and she already seems more upbeat. Sitting in a spot she hardly ever goes to anymore.

Attachments

• 20230305_193316.jpg
    20230305_193316.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7

BeardieMomma

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so has she been basking under it?
Mostly under her basking light with mouth open (she doesn't have her mouth open often). But also looking at UVB and going near it. It's a T8 so its inside and I had to move her basking area to the front of the tank to get the 8 inches distance. She seemed very happy last night. Hopefully eating improves

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mostly under her basking light with mouth open (she doesn't have her mouth open often). But also looking at UVB and going near it. It's a T8 so its inside and I had to move her basking area to the front of the tank to get the 8 inches distance. She seemed very happy last night. Hopefully eating improves
Ok sounds good - make sure you change that T 8 out at around 5 months old -- mouth open is called gaping -- good thing shes adjusting her body temp

Latest posts