• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon small tail

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Just wandering, does anyone out there have a dragon with a smaller tail than it should be? My dragon's tail is at least 2 inches shorter than her sibling, and they're the same size body-wise.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just wandering, does anyone out there have a dragon with a smaller tail than it should be? My dragon's tail is at least 2 inches shorter than her sibling, and they're the same size body-wise.

The shorter one likely had it's tail bitten off or kinked under something and broke off..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it's always been like that, I just now kinda noticed. I've had her for about 4-5 months. But she's around 1 yr old.

It likely happened before you got her, as I've not ever heard of stunted tail growth..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. What could have caused that?

Like I said it was more than likely bitten off as they will often get into fights for food, aggression for prime basking spots..they were not meant to be housed together even clutch mates will do harm to each other at very young ages.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Like I said it was more than likely bitten off as they will often get into fights for food, aggression for prime basking spots..they were not meant to be housed together even clutch mates will do harm to each other at very young ages.

Again haha the tail was not bitten off. It's a complete tail, only smaller. As if a person had a short arm.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Again haha the tail was not bitten off. It's a complete tail, only smaller. As if a person had a short arm.

You can't even tell if a tail has been bitten off they heal up normally, it won't look deformed. I have a dragon that had a big kink and it fell off and looks totally normal. I also have a female that has a shorter tail it was bitten you would never know it.
So unless you saw it born with a shorter tail you may never know. Just saying been at this awhile now..

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
You can't even tell if a tail has been bitten off they heal up normally, it won't look deformed. I have a dragon that had a big kink and it fell off and looks totally normal. I also have a female that has a shorter tail it was bitten you would never know it.
So unless you saw it born with a shorter tail you may never know. Just saying been at this awhile now..

They wouldn't grow a tail if it were bitten off tho. And would the tail looking skinny also be a issue

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They wouldn't grow a tail if it were bitten off tho. And would the tail looking skinny also be a issue

No they don't re grow correct..how about you post a picture for us.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Here's the picture of comparison. The left one is Mine's sibling. Mine is the lighter colored one on the right. The tail picture is also of mine to show her tail is healthy just a kink :)
6796d3e64a7f8168af409a6aede9cd58.jpg
57969317e09871d5f0854f9399706aa8.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my opinion her tail has gotten kinked either by getting it stuck under something (this happens ALOT) or it was a birth deformity. What is interesting is she does not look a year old, and you've had her 4-5 months and you've never noticed that big kink??

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
In my opinion her tail has gotten kinked either by getting it stuck under something (this happens ALOT) or it was a birth deformity. What is interesting is she does not look a year old, and you've had her 4-5 months and you've never noticed that big kink??
I've always knew that kink [emoji23]
And from what I've been told by the breeder, they're all about 1 yr olds. She's at about 14 inches.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dragons grow at different sizes. The tail does look kinked, could have happened out of the egg or an accident. The two dragons are different sizes though. The one on the left has a longer body type than the one on the right. Doesn't matter if they are siblings and the same exact age, they are going to grow at different rates for different reasons.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
It's a tail kink and happened just like they are saying.

And when they are saying "bitten off" they mean a "tail nip"

Happens ALL the time with clutch mates and some even have "toe nips"

Most responsible breeders point it out pre sale.....it is no harm but usually discounts the dragon a few dollars

Latest posts