• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon shows symptoms of impaction but poops every day??

what's wrong with Burnster?!

• impaction- keep treating with laxatives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • he's possessed

• missing some other vitamin

• he broke his legs

• Total voters

Dewitt Fortenberry

Bearded Dragon Egg
About 3 weeks ago we noticed that burnster had problems moving his back legs. They almost seem partially paralyzed. Sometimes his back legs twitch up in the air and twitch while he tries to slither on his belly, really freaky. So I googled his symptoms and we decided that he wasn't getting enough D3 with his calcium. Every day since then, I've been giving him a new vitamin powder that has calcium and D3 (before we were just using a calcium powder). Despite this cumbersome routine of dipping all of his worms in the stuff, he still hasn't gotten better and the problem seems to be getting worse. I re-googled his symptoms and found that this could also be a symptom of impaction. I ruled that out at first because he poops every day, but then I noticed that he skips some days and has funky looking poop on other days. So then I tried treating for impaction by bathing him every day and giving him laxatives. I also removed all of the sand from his cage since that can cause impaction (even though the sand said it was perfect for dragons...) This still hasn't helped... any suggestions? Please help I can't find any vets in my area that see Bearded Dragons...:mad::eek:

Attachments

• IMG_8262.JPG
    IMG_8262.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Have you looked up MBD? The leg twitch sounds like that especially if it's not the other things.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I personally know a beardie that started with the leg twitch for about 2 weeks maybe 3 weeks and then started having seizures and it is MBD! The only way to know for sure is a vet visit.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, what's BSFL short for? Also do you know how long it should take for him to return to normal?

As far as going back to normal. That depends on how bad he is and how soon you get him help.

Right now I would be getting him the BSFL's and putting calcium on his feeders.

I personally would be reading as much as I can on mbd. I haven't had to deal with that personally.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It all depends on the level of MBD most can be stopped/slowed but if damage is done it is done. You just manage from there out how he does with food and supplements.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also, taking your beardie outside for natural light helps them to better utilize the calcium they take in. Artificial D3 and UVB bulbs are okay when you can't get them outside, but natural sun trumps everything man made.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes what Hdrydr31 said. You can stop the progression of MBD but you can't reverse the damage it's already done. I would try to find a vet nearby that can treat exotics. Google, exotic vets in your area and you should come up with something. The vet can give you oral calcium that you give a few times a day or they can give a calcium injection. In the meantime make sure that your UVB bulb is current. Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulbs need to be switched every 4-6 months. BSLF are good for calcium but so are silk worms. Also make sure you are using a multivitamin a few times a week along with your calcium.

Also make sure the temperature in his basking spot correct by measuring it with either a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun.

Dewitt Fortenberry

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow thanks, but there's no way he'll be able to use his back legs normally again? Also how did this happen? I took him outside every other day, kept his light on, and gave him the calcium dust four times a week before we switched to the calcium with D3 after he got sick.
Yes what Hdrydr31 said. You can stop the progression of MBD but you can't reverse the damage it's already done. I would try to find a vet nearby that can treat exotics. Google, exotic vets in your area and you should come up with something. The vet can give you oral calcium that you give a few times a day or they can give a calcium injection. In the meantime make sure that your UVB bulb is current. Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulbs need to be switched every 4-6 months. BSLF are good for calcium but so are silk worms. Also make sure you are using a multivitamin a few times a week along with your calcium.

Also make sure the temperature in his basking spot correct by measuring it with either a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun.
It all depends on the level of MBD most can be stopped/slowed but if damage is done it is done. You just manage from there out how he does with food and supplements.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Did you change the bulb? The bulb will still be working but after 6 months stop producing UVB.

There's really no way to know how this happened. A vet might be able to tell you and help you.

I would call herp vets in your area and get prices of a visit and fecal test. The doctor can help you with medicine that could make this better or at least help.

Some vets will even let you make payments, as long as you have some money to put towards the bill. Just a thought.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If he already has reduced motor funtion in his back legs, it's unlikely that he'll regain itcompletely. Once the progression of MBD is stopped he'll get a bit stronger and be able to get around just fine, but his movement may remain a bit loosey goosey, so to speak, and climbing becomes rather hazardous. My girl came to me with extremely poor function of her hind legs, and while she has gotten strong enough to lift herself up and is able to get around, they will never function properly. She's still quick when she wants to be, but a bit awkward.

Find a good vet that can see your boy, make sure your bulbs are well within their UVB life span, double check temps, and keep up the supplementation and outdoor time. Also, you may want to consider a calcium supplement without D3 while it's nice enough to take him outside. Initially I used the D3 version and noticed that my babies would bask less and stay farther away from the UVB light. I plan to only use it over the winter when artificial UVB is the only option.

Latest posts