• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dragon responses to threats

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
starting this topic based on an exchange with Brian posted here under July 4th -- to query everyone about various owners' experiences and observations of dragon behaviors that may be interpreted as instinctive responses to [perceived or potential] threats to them or their domain [logically, the most likely responses would be related to dangerous natural occurances and predators in the wilds of Australia].

for example, when my male is outside and one of my cats comes racing up to him, he's always stayed calm and unconcerned --but when Bluejays are flying around the yard, he gets really, really worried. [my assumption has been that it's an evolutionarily established reaction to a major predator: hawks.] he's also totally freaked out by snakes.

athena

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Orion is really the only one to make any reactions, and that is to his through the glass play mate Chelsea. She jumps on the viv, and He jumps right back at her, with beard blackened and mouth open hissing ! I distinctly remember a tail thump too !
Janie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As was posted in my other thread. Dr. Evil my male did not like the 4th of july. He was very hyperactive, alert, and just generally pissed off at the fireworks. It wasnt just the sound or just the light it was all of it. Every flash or pop or boom he would flatten out and run around his cage trying to be big man puffing out his beard and what not. Almost as if he felt his home was in danger. Lights were already out and he was still running around like something was "intruding upon" his home. It got to the point where i had to take him out of his tank and hold him till he passed out. He also responds similarly to outside. If he sees anything that so much as resembles a bird he freaks and beards out hissing whipping his tail. This is obviously an instinctual behavior considering he has never had a single bad experience with anything intruding upon his territory other than me lol which he doesnt seem to mind (so long as his slave brings superworms) lol.

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
corrine said:
Pharoh doesn't like cars or the wind
yeah, Sandrin really doesn't enjoy being outside on windy days, either -- can you tell which aspect of the wind bothers Pharoh the most? -- Sandrin isn't as disturbed by the visual confusion of all the leaves moving [which does bother my cats] as he seems upset by not being able to figure out where the sound is coming from.
by cars do you mean that he notices the sound of car engines passing by on the road when he's out in the yard -- or do you mean that he doesn't like going for a ride? (-:
Sandrin is much more bothered by the sound of airplanes [birds of prey] than by cars or trucks on the street.

athena

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bernard would duck out of the way when my little terrier would walk by. Mostly behind his log. He liked to bartend a lot. So, he would be bartending, all proud and Silly would walk by the viv, and he would duck behind the log.

Odd because my other dog, shepherd/collie mix, wouldn't phase him. It may have to do with Silly chasing him when he was younger and out of the viv?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think it's the feeling of the wind itself. I've only had her about a week and it's still all new to her. And it's the sound of the cars that she doesn't like. Every time a car goes by when we are outside she flares up.

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
It may have to do with Silly chasing him when he was younger and out of the viv?
could be -- or it could be that the other dog doesn't awaken his instinctive responses -- anybody else have multiple cats or dogs who your bearded reacts to as individuals? the only cat that sandrin ever fannned his beard at was one who had a fluffy mane of fur [so we assumed he thought the cat was fanning at him and replied in kind]

athena

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I took Harley out for the first time yesterday, she responded very well to her surroundings....she did not like the birds though....she would flatten herself out whenever she heard one, other than that she was just curious and did allot of head tilts ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Athena, I'm curious, are you conducting a study? Or is this for personal interest?

Laurie, I can't believe you just took Harley out of her viv. Coming from the one who had her out 6 hours a day! :D

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Athena, I'm curious, are you conducting a study? Or is this for personal interest?

nah -- it's just how my brain works and how my experience has taught me to acquire and think about anecdotal evidence [which may or may not support the standard "truths" and generally held assumptions].

[i'm a college instructor plus i used to work with a wildlife rehabilitator].

athena

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, I like how your brain works. It has added interest to the forum!

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Laurie, I can't believe you just took Harley out of her viv. Coming from the one who had her out 6 hours a day! :D

Ha Ha...I should have said outside the house...and viv....

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
brasshandle said:
i know a collage instructor in reptiles,and she talks crap :-X :-X
yeah, environmentalists call it scat -- what you-all call poop -- amazing what you can learn from it --
ever dissect an owl pellet or track deer? (-:

athena

Latest posts