1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dragonscales, Feb 12, 2020.

1. dragonscales

dragonscales Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello all at the forums. Was just at the local pet shop and they have baby bearded dragons for sale. These are such majestic creatures. I’m at the point where I want to commit to buying one. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks so much.glad to be here.
  2. dragonscales

dragonscales Bearded Dragon Egg

Being a newbie what should I take into consideration?thanks again
  3. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

Yes go to this website and it will help you get what to buy I could go over the whole list but this will help - please come back and ask more questions if you have them and I will answer as best as I can or get someone else who can
    https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-what-to-buy/
  4. kaylynangel

NO COIL UVB's they are killers of dragons and often sold in kits
  5. Blaise

Blaise Bearded Dragon Egg

I got this beardie back in late July of 2019, she hasn’t grown what so ever, she has a T5 10.0 UVB hood light, two CHEs since her tank is long, 1 basking bulb, a couple hide, a food dish, a hammock, and a tree that she loves to climb and sleep in. She is 7 inches long and has not grown. Is there something I can do? Help. This picture is just a close up. She also eat crickets and I’m trying to get her to eat some veggies and fruits. So far she’s eaten a couple blueberries and a few apples slices. I have only seen her shed once in the past seven months. BB78C2D5-9D5C-412E-9F89-8F3EEFB17808.jpeg
  6. kaylynangel

Where is the UVB? Inside tank or on top of screen-- she looks dehydrated from the pic- have you given her a bathe? What about giving water on her nose or syringe? Basking temps? What are they and how are you taking them? No stickons- they are inaccurate--- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank
  7. Blaise

I give her a bath quite often, her uvb is on top of the tank which is about 20” tall, I do put droplets of water on her nose, her basking temp sits at about 96°F, and I am taking the temps with a digital thermometer.
  8. kaylynangel

The UVB needs to be 8-10 inches w/ a wide holed screen from basking decor-- if it's a fine screen like a screen door it should be 6-8 inches from basking decor-- myself I would get that UVB inside the tank and 12-15 inches from basking decor-- she is not getting enough UVB that screen is blocking 30% of those rays this is why she's not growing-- you can use long plastic zip ties picture wire hangers- 3m Velcro fasteners-- shoe laces but I would get it inside the tank--- basking temps should 95-110- once you get that UVB moved you will notice a difference in her behavior- feed mainly greens fruit once in awhile- I will post a website for nutrition tomorrow for you-- but get her UVB moved
  9. Blaise

I should have been more specific, the tank itself is about 20” tall, the uvb is about 8 inches away from the basking spot. The screen is thin and made of a light metal. I try to feed her fruits and veggies but she is stubborn and won’t eat them. The uvb is a 36” T5 10.0 UVB hood light.
  10. kaylynangel

Ok so the T 5 is on top of screen that is fine mesh and its approx 8" inches away from basking spot ? Is that correct? And its the length of the whole tank? Is she basking? ok so here is a idea on how to get her to start eating her vegies
    First order some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com - they are a great staple feeder and you dont need to dust them w/ calcium - you need a glass dish that the bugs/ worms arent going to be able to get out of - next look at this website for nutrition
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html this site will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often to feed
    Get some worms like small or medium super worms and some dubia roaches from here
    www.https://reptilesupply.com/ they have small super worms - also get some butter worms use these as lures to get her to the bowl - only use 1-3 on top of her salads first thing in the morning - the BSFL are a great lure and you can use as many as you want - here is another site I use for roaches-- let her eat from her bowl of worms and vegies for like an hr our so then take pull some of the salad out bet leave some in there and add your roaches - you can use the crickets for now but you will haft to disable them like pull a leg off so that cant jump out of the bowl -- that will get her back to that bowl again -
    www.dubiaroaches.com these are great staple feeders and they dont stink they dont chirp and they are more nutritious and they are easier to care for than crickets --- feed them dubia food or food your feeding your dragon and carrots for hydration -- another good staple feeder is silk worms - here are a couple of sites to get these but at the moment they are out so keep checking and make sure if you order them order chow for them as they do eat alot www.reptilianarts.com and www.mulberryfarms.com

How many crickets is she eating at a time ? She should be eating 20-30 of them in a 10-15 minute time frame - you wont go thru that many w/ roaches they are more filling ---
    If she is basking and the UVB seems to be in good standing the only thing I can think of is shes not getting enough to eat or she is sick -- she is not acting lethargic right? Shes active in her tank --
  11. Blaise

The uvb is on top of the mesh and it’s 36” long while the tank is 48” long, the closest she gets to basking is by lying down on one of the leaves of the tree that is right below the hammock, the leaves she lay on are basically touching the bottom of the hammock. I will check out the websites. She’ll eat about 10-15 crickets dusted in calcium. Yes she is very active in her tank. She does not seem to act lethargic. She also does not often like to eat food out of a food dish unless they are crickets. For the veggies and fruits I got some bee pollen, which people often tell me to use because it will help get her to eat the fruits or veggies.
  12. kaylynangel

You can try the bee pollen sometimes it works sometimes not - didnt work on mine --- how far is the UVB from her basking spot
  13. Blaise

CFD17974-35A1-42EC-88B6-77EEAD0C2720.jpeg 6BC3F915-9EBA-4A14-8EBB-E80DAA4DB493.jpeg From where she typically sits which is right under her basking spot I’d say the uvb is maybe 8 1/2” from where she typically likes to be near the basking spot. This is the net. This was her previous setup. I just changed it up the other day but this is what the net looks like with this tree right under neath the net. Don’t mind the circle around the tail.
  14. kaylynangel

Show me the whole tank ----------- she is not getting any UVB sitting in that tree -- and w/ it being on top of the mesh that screen is filtering out 30% of those rays ---
  15. Blaise

16. kaylynangel

Ok so yes your dragon is not really getting any UVB --- you need to either get the T 5 in the tank approx 12-15 inches from the basking decor piece - meaning your gonna haft to do some rearranging in that tank w/ decor pieces -- she needs to be able to sit directly under that UVB --- or have the decor pieces sitting 6-8 inches from the UVB if you leave it on top of screen - myself I would move it inside the tank -- No cover on the bulb --- you can use long plastic zip ties ---- 3M velcro fasteners --- picture hanging wire --- shoe laces--- fishing line -------------- to hang the fixture --- but at this point shes not getting the UVB she needs --- get it moved along w/ her decor pieces and you will see a difference in her behavior ---- it looks like shes got a nice big tank its too bad there are not front doors on it ---
  17. Blaise

Alright, how do you suggest I rearrange the tank? she definitely enjoys the space