• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon going into brumation - need some tips!

Crystaldragon44

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I'm a first time reptile owner so you may have to spell things out for me, sorry!

My 3 year old dragon has become very sluggish. She usually rips into her locusts but didn't touch them when they were placed into her cage. She's very sleepy and for a while I was worried she was sick. However it seems like she's just brumating - we are heading into Winter after all.

She has a big cage with the usual plants and rocks and things to climb on. Her cage is lined with slate. Should I get her a digbox to dig into and sleep in? If so, what is the safest substrate to use? I read that towels can work too.

My current plan is to leave the lights on as normal, leave a towel over the glass so she is undisturbed, check in on her every day (just peek in to see how she is) and quietly leave her food and things. Is there anything else I should/should not do? I read I should be on the look out for parasites and sudden weight loss and things.

Thanks for your time!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brumation. As long as she has a negative fecal test, she'll be ok to sleep. Brumation is a stressful time for new owners.

I

Latest posts