• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon eating a lot.

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
Okay. so my 6/7 month old beardie doesn't usually eat too much. I was told to give him as much live food as he'd eat in 10 minutes everyday and he usually only eats a couple of mealworms and locusts. Sometimes he will refuse the locusts if hes eaten his veg that day.
However, today hes eaten a LOT. I tried him with 2 of the smallest super mario worms in the box, which he ate straight through. He has then downed 6 locusts, 12 meal worms as well as the full dish of veg (which he very rarely finishes) and even then I've had to refuse to give him any more.
Is there something wrong? Or is he just being greedy?
I'm just slightly worried cause I've never seen him eat this much before.
He seems alert and he's been going about his business in the same way as usual.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Growth spurt probably. If he is hungry let him eat. Does not seem he is eating all that much for a dragon of his age. I would cut out the mealworms they are not that good on nutruition. He should be eating many more mario worms which are better for him. See if you can get some butter or silk worms too. Dragons love them and they have good calcuim too them.

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
Growth spurt probably. If he is hungry let him eat. Does not seem he is eating all that much for a dragon of his age. I would cut out the mealworms they are not that good on nutruition. He should be eating many more mario worms which are better for him. See if you can get some butter or silk worms too. Dragons love them and they have good calcuim too them.

I do give him butter worms usually, but they all died on me this week when I accidently left them under the radiator. :eek: Yes brainy idea.
And the woman in the pet shop said he's never eaten that much. Once he's had enough he'll just wander off.
Would it be a good idea to just keep giving him more locusts and superworms then until he refuses?

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would next feeding up your locust to 8. If he eats them all offer more till he stops. You are feeding twice a day right?

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
I would next feeding up your locust to 8. If he eats them all offer more till he stops. You are feeding twice a day right?
Yeah I'm feeding twice a day :) Mealworms/butterworms and veg on a morning and then locusts on a night usually.
And okay, I'll start doing that.

Latest posts